Why become a member? ×

MXR 6 band vs Boss EQ200

RikiB

Got the MXR 6 band eq today and seems great so I can have my usually finger tone and then kick it on when I use a pick.

But now thinking the Boss might be better as you can choose between 3 bandwidths and basically have control over more lows and low mids and then have presets you can scroll through.

size is fine but just wondering if there’s any reason I shouldnt get a Boss EQ200 for bass guitar?

Edited by RikiB

Yeah I’m thinking it will be more useful as it goes down to 28hz and maybe this would replace my HPF and the MXR eq.

The ability to have 4 presets to scroll through would be good when changing basses or moving to a pick.

Just got this MXR new though. Nothing wrong with it at all and does the job while keeping quiet but just thinking the Boss might be better

35 minutes ago, RikiB said:

Yeah I’m thinking it will be more useful as it goes down to 28hz and maybe this would replace my HPF and the MXR eq.

The ability to have 4 presets to scroll through would be good when changing basses or moving to a pick.

Just got this MXR new though. Nothing wrong with it at all and does the job while keeping quiet but just thinking the Boss might be better

Also the way you can change the eq range is very useful 

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also consider the Source Audio EQ2, way superior to both in any possible way, in fact the most advanced equalizer in pedal form ever made, miles ahead of all other options on the market. 

Tbh seems to have the same as the boss bar the tuner……..but a cool choice as it is smaller than the boss

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Tbh seems to have the same as the boss bar the tuner……..but a cool choice as it is smaller than the boss

No, not at all.

I wasn't lying, or didn't know what I was talking about.

Read the manual.

The Source Audio EQ2, basically gives you 2 x 10 bands of fully parametric equalizing, that is full adjustment of both frequency point, Q/bandwidth, and of course gain, for each of the 2 x 10 bands, which can be run as 2 x 10 bands of EQ as two seperate channels or in stereo, 2 x 10 bands run in series, effectively giving you a full 20 band parametric EQ, or 2 x 10 bands mixed in parallel, plus option for running the outer bands as shelving EQ filters instead, as well as additionally a HPF or LPF for each of the 2 channels, also can be used as a 10 band EQ + a 10 band EQ'ed foot switchable effect loop. 

The Boss is basically just slightly more flexible standard graphic EQ.

I guess only downside to the EQ2 would be the requirement of connecting it to a computer and using an app to set it up and take full advantage at all these incredible features.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Thing is the boss is £200 (£140 2nd hand) and the Source audio is £300 and haven’t seen any used ones.

It does look great though if cost didn’t come into it for sure.

But the Boss can scroll through 4 presets via footswitch. Does the EQ2 as it looks like a scroll wheel?

15 minutes ago, RikiB said:

Thing is the boss is £200 (£140 2nd hand) and the Source audio is £300 and haven’t seen any used ones.

It does look great though if cost didn’t come into it for sure.

But the Boss can scroll through 4 presets via footswitch. Does the EQ2 as it looks like a scroll wheel?

No unfortunately not, the presets on the EQ2 are buttons, not foot switches, so you would have to bend down to switch between them, but you connect an external foot switch for swapping between presets by foot.

Not sure what it is you think look like one, but no scroll wheel on the EQ2.

So if you need really flexible, extensive and surgically precise EQ'ing the EQ2 would be the one to get, but if you just need some more basic graphic eq'ing but need to be able to switch between different EQ setting in the middle of songs the Boss would probably be the more sensible choice (unless money is no issue, in that case the EQ2 + external footswitch would still be the best choice by far). 

• Like 1

I have the EQ-200 and it's excellent.

Having 2 footswitches makes it easy to use for live changes. I got it as an upgrade to an MXR 10 band that I had used for years.

It's very quiet in operation and the little screen showing the curve you are using from a memory slot is very handy.

It would be nice if it was a bit smaller, but then there would have to be menus or scrolling and things like that.

• Like 1

I like the MXR 6 band .. I think you purchased yours after my glowing report. 
For me it gives me the extra EQ points that most amps don’t so I can set it for the best sound live. 
I now only play with a pick either my Jazz or PBass but never both during the same gig. 
I have my preferred MXR EQ settings saved as an image on my phone so easy to set up if sliders get moved 

I think anything more complicated for me would result in constant tweaking etc 

Yeah I got it after you said about it. It’s a great pedal and was up to the job but needed something around the 60-80hz and the ability to have 5 eq settings easily available (4 presets and the manual setting) was a no brainier for me.

on the boss there’s 3 different EQ options so although it says 30hz-60hz etc mines set lower. Both great pedals and if the MXR had an extra slider for 60-80hz I would’ve kept it.

Also when boosting certain frequencies there was obviously a bump on volume where the Boss EQ200,GE7,MXR 10 band have a volume slider to to bring it back down to unity volume but still keep the EQ settings.

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

I like the MXR 6 band .. I think you purchased yours after my glowing report. 
For me it gives me the extra EQ points that most amps don’t so I can set it for the best sound live. 
I now only play with a pick either my Jazz or PBass but never both during the same gig. 
I have my preferred MXR EQ settings saved as an image on my phone so easy to set up if sliders get moved 

I think anything more complicated for me would result in constant tweaking etc 

That's absolutely a valid point.

Simplicity has it's own advantages.

Also Caline makes a cheaper clone, the CP-71 6-Band Graphic EQ, at less than half the price, and with an added Level slider, which the original lacks, leading to the issue of not being able to compensate for boosting or cutting frequencies affecting the overall output volume, as @RikiB mentioned, that this clone fixes.

Also I can warmly recommend the Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic Eq, 8 band graphic equalizer, which is dirt cheap but non the less works great and is actually also build really well and sturdily.

And in my opinion the center frequency of the 8 bands respectively makes more sense than say those of any of the Boss 7 band graphic equalizers.

image.png.09771663101149b201b6f908736f6fce.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Naturally it depends on the amp you’re using it with 

My Ashdown and Aguilar both have bass at 40hz  so I can accept not having it on the MXR 

Yeah that’s true. I’m currently using the Hand Box R400 head and no idea what the bass knob freq is.