Why become a member? ×

Volume Blend Tone plate for passive Jazz

bassjim

KiOgon (username) on here can knock you up an excellent quality circuit that does exactly what you want.

Failing that you'll need a dual 250kΩ (or 500kΩ) potentiometer and wire it like this:

Blendwiring.jpg.30d1e23f9cbe49c21c019533b165c05b.jpg

The two 'sources' are your hot pickup wires.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1

I've been curious about switching my J to this kind of setup before, driven mostly by the incessant hum of the flourescent strips in my rehearsal room causing all manner of hum when I was on anything except equal volume on both pickups.

So I did a bit of googling around, and at the time I remember coming across a link, probably talkbass (which of course I can't find now) that said essentially "why? that's the characteristic sound of a Jazz bass. don't mess with the recipe". Food for thought.

I've just tried and failed to find that thread, but instead found this one - https://www.talkbass.com/threads/benefit-of-vol-vol-vs-a-blend-knob.1018316/ - which offers a bit more of a concrete argument, "I'm sure someone else can fill you in on the "why", but there is a difference in tone between a blend knob set to the middle (both pickups at 50%) and having both pickups at 100%"

So is that what would happen with a blend pot? ie is the middle blend position each pickup at 50% or is it both on 100%? 

btw it might also be worth getting a shielding job done while you're at it.

21 hours ago, toneknob said:

"I'm sure someone else can fill you in on the "why", but there is a difference in tone between a blend knob set to the middle (both pickups at 50%) and having both pickups at 100%"

So is that what would happen with a blend pot? ie is the middle blend position each pickup at 50% or is it both on 100%?

As said, use the MN type pot.

Ordinary log/audio, or linear taper starts at the other end and stops in the other. In blend tapers start from the center detent (or middle). Therefore you get 100 % in the middle.

Note: This is a hi-Z circuitry! Battery powered mixers (or active blends like Noll Mixpot) may have very different way of working and shouldn't be compared directly without deeper knowledge of the functions.