Why become a member? ×

Quick connectors on Pups?

I am having a sunday morning think, never a good thing after a saturday night on the sauce.

Lets say i have a jazz bass. Would it be possible to set it up with qp's that are connected with quick connectors.

So that i could swap out for a set of EMG's in minutes.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='478158' date='May 3 2009, 12:26 PM']I am having a sunday morning think, never a good thing after a saturday night on the sauce.

Lets say i have a jazz bass. Would it be possible to set it up with qp's that are connected with quick connectors.

So that i could swap out for a set of EMG's in minutes.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?[/quote]

Nothing's impossible, but bear in mind that QPs are passive, EMGs (I presume you're meaning EMG J or JV and not HZ) are active. Which means that you need 250-500k pots for the passive pup and 25k pots for the active ones. Not to mention remembering not to fire +9V through your QPs by mistake.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='478197' date='May 3 2009, 01:17 PM']ok, bad example.

Lets say another set of passives.[/quote]
You would run in to the same problem with any set of passive pickups if you were planning to swap them with EMGs. EMGs require 25kΩ pots to work correctly, whereas almost all passive pickups require 250/500kΩ ones.

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='478197' date='May 3 2009, 01:17 PM']ok, bad example.

Lets say another set of passives.[/quote]

Well, the quick connectors are just that, ways of connecting the wires. If you have two sets of passive pickups that both have the connectors on them, and your bass has connectors, then you could in theory switch out the sets in minutes.

The reason I ask is, I was contemplating a parts bass but couldn’t decide on a p or a j.

So I was thinking about making a p that could become a j or vice versa.

Have a large cavity routed under the pg, that could take both jazz and split p pickups.

Have a pg for both configurations made.

Then when I want to change it, it should be a ten minute job.

Possibly use two split p pups to use all three knobs on both configurations.

What are your thoughts on this, any glaring problems that I am missing?

Edited by boabskiboab

The quick connector pickups are a great idea, I boought 4 once to do this to one of my electric guitars - there's some companies already doing them, is it EMG? Only problem is on guitars with narrow channels drilled thru from pup cavity to control cavity as the quick connector would not fit thru and have to be wired up once the cable is threaded through the hole. However, this is only a problem when the guitar is first put together.