Why become a member? ×

NBD Gibson EB14

Duroc17

Had a bit of a bonus so treated myself to an import from US of Gibson EB14 - i wanted a different vibe from a PB and this looks like their version of a Musicman Sabre bass but passive

First impressions needs a set up but came with TI flats so saved some cash there - slight crackle from the jack - so will take off the scratchplate later in week, night just need a blast of air.

The neck - satin back on maple which feels great with slab of rosewood - needs oiling and truss rod needs a quarter turn i'd say.

Great bridge, bass is very resonant. String spacing of 20mm which for my sausage fingers is great (my fave bass Starfire 1 thats the only downside slim string spacing) action is higher than i like it so will get puzzling bridge out this week as intonation is out about 5% at octave.

Finish is lovely satin nitro and it's really light I'm guessing 7lbsish.

The only thing which is concerning at mo is that there's a really pronounced drop off in volume between fully open then from 80% down - the pickup height looks a bit too low for me. The humbuckers are fairly thumpy - the neck is muddy some but with coil tap there's a real good usable selection of tones for what i do. Anyone else had such drop off? I am only using it at in house- not annoy the neighbours levels at mo, till tonight.

In time for rehearsals tonight - so can road test it

IMG_7966.jpeg

IMG_7968.jpeg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’ve got the 5 string 2013 version and there is no drop off at all. I bought it new, but it did need some adjustment, the pickups were too close to the strings. Now it’s fine, a really versatile and lightweight bass.

Ah that’s worrisome- I think the strings are too high and the pickups too low - had to order a Allen key as none of mine fit the babicz but loving the lightweight ness and fits in the band sound nicely 

I don't have mine any more, but I don't remember any volume dropoff, not that I use the volume knobs much, I mostly use them like switches.  There's one song when I do a fade in, and that's not enough for me to be bothered with a volume pedal, just roll the volume knob.

Maybe the volume pot needs a bit of attention - get some magic spray in there?

Nice basses though, would still have mine were it not for a period of financial dark ages.

20 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I don't have mine any more, but I don't remember any volume dropoff, not that I use the volume knobs much, I mostly use them like switches.  There's one song when I do a fade in, and that's not enough for me to be bothered with a volume pedal, just roll the volume knob.

Maybe the volume pot needs a bit of attention - get some magic spray in there?

Nice basses though, would still have mine were it not for a period of financial dark ages.

Yeah any of my basses have gone mostly for financial reasons - the fact that the energy companies have been siphoning my records and bass gear money hasnt helped - i. think this bass needs a full set up - more cash spent on it making it not a cheap buy but rehearsed with it last night and sits in the mix really nice and was even with high action really good to play