Why become a member? ×

Electric shocks at gigs

police squad

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Nah I won't forget yer Snorks, I'm sure I can find a good position for a chap of your calibre in the old "firm" 

I more worry about the others, because Waddo will have so much money soon and will buy out every single available vintage Fender on the market and never sell any !!!

• Haha 3

On 25/06/2023 at 12:56, dmccombe7 said:

Socket tester is a handy gadget but what do you do when you come a cross a  system with a fault.  ?

Do you wait for the owner to get an electrician ......... if he can ?

Do you cancel the gig at last minute (unpaid)

Do you tackle a repair yourself (if qualified of course)

Its a tricky one.

I've come across double sockets that have been dodgy and i just don't use those particular sockets. An RCD wont prevent an earth fault / shock as far as i know.

Dave 

I was the spark in our band so ended up dealing with all the above. But I did make sure we had written into our contracts that all our gear was PAT tested, but we reserve the right not to play should we find a fault on venues ring main circuit, and that the hirer should make sure that the venue is tested, properly earthed and complies with is Electrical supply regulations. You have to give some back or at least cover your donkey. So you still get paid. 

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

I was the spark in our band so ended up dealing with all the above. But I did make sure we had written into our contracts that all our gear was PAT tested, but we reserve the right not to play should we find a fault on venues ring main circuit, and that the hirer should make sure that the venue is tested, properly earthed and complies with is Electrical supply regulations. You have to give some back or at least cover your donkey. So you still get paid. 

That sounds like an interesting idea to include it in a contract. Lot of our gigs don't have contracts tho but maybe we should look into that a bit more.

Dave

• Like 1

We used MU contracts but would also have a conditions of contract that went with it stating key points. Just a one side of bullet points will do.

As well as electrical issues,

If outside, cover to protect band from the elements should be provided,

The Band requires hard surface to perform on e.g extended dance floor, or staging

We reserve the right to terminate the performance should a guest or guests behavior threaten the safety of the band or equipment.

A room is required for the band to change and leave personal belongings, this should be secure dry and well lit, toilets are not acceptable. etc etc.

And  I haven't mentioned blue M&Ms once yet. 😆      

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

We used MU contracts but would also have a conditions of contract that went with it stating key points. Just a one side of bullet points will do.

As well as electrical issues,

If outside, cover to protect band from the elements should be provided,

The Band requires hard surface to perform on e.g extended dance floor, or staging

We reserve the right to terminate the performance should a guest or guests behavior threaten the safety of the band or equipment.

A room is required for the band to change and leave personal belongings, this should be secure dry and well lit, toilets are not acceptable. etc etc.

And  I haven't mentioned blue M&Ms once yet. 😆      

What kind of venues are you playing to get band dressing rooms and M&M's

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What kind of venues are you playing to get band dressing rooms and M&M's

Dave

I have had a think and attached pics of the worse and best changing rooms we had over the years - A muddy horse box in a farm yard at a private event, and the best was the main ball room at the Cafe Royal over looking Regent St. as it was empty and we were playing in the small room next door. No M&M's but we did get Champagne and pistachios. 

_86-3715552685.thumb.jpeg.3a611bd59d6ff88239be8ec5cd749517.jpeg

pompadour-ballroom-at-hotel-cafe-royal-4-1904220985.thumb.jpeg.df4002be7902e1e77fe73f7a0cc11ed4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

I have had a think and attached pics of the worse and best changing rooms we had over the years - A muddy horse box in a farm yard at a private event, and the best was the main ball room at the Cafe Royal over looking Regent St. as it was empty and we were playing in the small room next door. No M&M's but we did get Champagne and pistachios. 

_86-3715552685.thumb.jpeg.3a611bd59d6ff88239be8ec5cd749517.jpeg

pompadour-ballroom-at-hotel-cafe-royal-4-1904220985.thumb.jpeg.df4002be7902e1e77fe73f7a0cc11ed4.jpeg

Aye you've come a long way from those early horse box gigs to ballroom gigs and that's just the changing rooms. :laugh1:

Have to admit i wouldn't have gone with the horsebox. Our stage gear cost us a few quid and i'm careful not to damage it.

Dave

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Aye you've come a long way from those early horse box gigs to ballroom gigs and that's just the changing rooms.

I didn't say which way the band was heading when we got the horse box gig. Just look at Glastonbury a few acts there all back on the farm after a glittering career 😆

• Haha 2