Why become a member? ×

Easy songs causing trouble. Is it just me?

SteveXFR

On 24/06/2023 at 19:44, SteveXFR said:

On 24/06/2023 at 19:44, SteveXFR said:

We've decided to add a couple covers to our set insurance original metal band. Easy set filler we thought so we worked out a stoner metal version of maniac from flashdance (an obvious choice) and a punky version of Paranoid by Sabbath. 

Paranoid is about as easy as it gets. Every beginner rock guitarist and bassist learns it so why the hell am I playing it so badly? It should be the easiest song in our set.

Anyone else have trouble with a beginner standard tune? 

I've being playing this recently and am sort of in the same boat. I can and do on a regular basis play much more complex stuff, but this continues to give me grief! To be fair, I underestimated it a bit.

I think it's just a personal style thing and a difference between playing styles. What might feel 100% easy and natural to one person might feel odd and unnatural to another. Some player's styles you can just be more at home with, irrespective of difficulty. Some of the fingering and timing of the changes don't seem comfortable to me. 

Edited by How1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, How1 said:

I've being playing this recently and am sort of in the same boat. I can and do on a regular basis play much more complex stuff, but this continues to give me grief! To be fair, I underestimated it a bit.

I think it's just a personal style thing and a difference between playing styles. What might feel 100% easy and natural to one person might feel odd and unnatural to another. Some player's styles you can just be more at home with, irrespective of difficulty. Some of the fingering and timing of the changes don't seem comfortable to me. 

Its one of those songs i was brought up on and one of the first rock songs i tried on bass.

Was just having a look at the tab for Paranoid and had forgotten all about the chorus octave 8ths.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its one of those songs i was brought up on and one of the first rock songs i tried on bass.

Dave

It's one of those songs I've always been aware of but for some reason never played! I'm not the biggest Sabbath fan but do like them. I'm a typical child of the alt 90s so it was all Chili peppers and Rage Against the Machine etc when I started playing.

Edited by How1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, How1 said:

It's one of those songs I've always been aware of but for some reason never played! I'm not the biggest Sabbath fan but do like them.

When i saw the bass tab and octaves i could remember that being a difficult bit to get the timing right especially if your drummer does the live sped up version. Going back a few yrs since doing it properly probably back in 70's. Last time i jammed it i'm sure i just played straight 8's instead of the octave thing mainly because i'd forgotten all about it.

Dave

A lot of Black Sabbath is very difficult to play as Ozzy does not sing on the beat, also the bass is pushing the beat, not sitting on top of the drums. 

You may be complicating it further by trying to do a 'Punķy' version. 

Ultimately straight 8ths are the bread and butter of rock bass players. Get out the metronome and work on them. 

• Like 1