Why become a member? ×

One of the most difficult technical aspects to bass playing is keeping your fingers close to the fretboard. But if you want to play faster bass lines with better accuracy, you have to minimise movement and learn to be more ergonomic. 

The little finger of the fretting hand is the hardest finger to control and a particularly erratic pinky is sometimes referred to as a 'flying pinky'!

If you want to get your pinky under control or improve on your fretting hand technique then you'll definitely benefit from my new 'flying pinky' lesson.

In the lesson I go over the main aspects of correct fretting hand technique which is very important as there could be a part of your technique that is stopping you from efficient bass playing. 

Find out more in my latest YouTube. 

I too always have used the little finger, I'd not come from a guitar playing background at all, ( I did play saxophone before I ever picked up a bass.) 

In fact I developed quite a bulging muscle on the "karate" edge of the left hand just from little finger usage playing bass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

I've never heard of this before either but I've always used all four fingers to fret and started out with the approach of one finger per fret. Playing a lot of walking bass lines early on as well I guess helped.

It’s not so much not using the little finger but many players finding it harder to control. Definitely for beginners, it’s the little finger that moves away from the fretboard the most. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Apart from not having a pinky, 😄🤲🏾 i have always used my little finger when playing bass. Something that came naturally from my guitar playing days.

😂 I’d never thought of the pinky as a literal colour. I think I might just use ‘little’ in future! 😀

Generally bass players who have come over from guitar have better control over their fingers although I have seen sone guitarists with out of control fingers! 

36 minutes ago, greghagger said:

😂 I’d never thought of the pinky as a literal colour. I think I might just use ‘little’ in future! 😀

Generally bass players who have come over from guitar have better control over their fingers although I have seen sone guitarists with out of control fingers! 

Pinkie comes from Dutch, and means 'little finger', I believe, and has nowt to do with colour.

• Like 1