Why become a member? ×

Sound City B120 Help

Hi, I really need some help with my new aquisition. It is a 1972/3 markIV sound city b120. The problem is when that all the sound that comes out of it has horrendous fuzz distortion on it that all that it turns what you are trying to play into a wall of noise, and for a short period the treble pot when turned up gave an awful high pitched screech. In addition when i flicked the standby switch on once i got an electric showck that numbed my arm. Any ideas how i can go about fixing thisl, or if anyone knows where a valve amp tech is in the southwest (Bath/Bristol/Swindon area) I would be very grateful.
Cheers

[quote name='MusicalJuggernaught' post='477446' date='May 2 2009, 12:49 AM']Hi, I really need some help with my new aquisition. It is a 1972/3 markIV sound city b120. The problem is when that all the sound that comes out of it has horrendous fuzz distortion on it that all that it turns what you are trying to play into a wall of noise, and for a short period the treble pot when turned up gave an awful high pitched screech. In addition when i flicked the standby switch on once i got an electric showck that numbed my arm. Any ideas how i can go about fixing thisl, or if anyone knows where a valve amp tech is in the southwest (Bath/Bristol/Swindon area) I would be very grateful.
Cheers[/quote]
take it to a tech, sounds like some of the caps have gone and dc is leaking onto the front panel, i'd recomend not using it till you've had someone look at it aswell as you might end up damaging the valves / transformers running it in that state

In Bristol you have Jesse James and the Bailey Brother's, I've spoken to Jesse and he is a bit oldschool, which is great for amp like yours but I'm madly dubious on his ideas about speakers. The Baileys are great and cheap, but they prioritise gigging musiciansso if you don't have a deadline to have it working by, they will take forever.

In Bath, Neil Perry (Raw State) is fantastic with all things audio..and a real valve enthusiast. He isn't the cheapest but I cant recommend him strongly enough - remember those voltages are potentially lethal (he also works for people like P Gabriel and JP Jones...if that impresses anyone!) He's also a bass player.

BB

[quote name='MusicalJuggernaught' post='477446' date='May 2 2009, 12:49 AM']Hi, I really need some help with my new aquisition. It is a 1972/3 markIV sound city b120. The problem is when that all the sound that comes out of it has horrendous fuzz distortion on it that all that it turns what you are trying to play into a wall of noise, and for a short period the treble pot when turned up gave an awful high pitched screech. In addition when i flicked the standby switch on once i got an electric showck that numbed my arm. Any ideas how i can go about fixing thisl, or if anyone knows where a valve amp tech is in the southwest (Bath/Bristol/Swindon area) I would be very grateful.
Cheers[/quote]

Take it to a tech.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='477654' date='May 2 2009, 12:48 PM']In Bristol you have Jesse James and the Bailey Brother's, I've spoken to Jesse and he is a bit oldschool, which is great for amp like yours but I'm madly dubious on his ideas about speakers.[/quote]

I used to hire PA from Jesse when I was at uni there - a legend. IIRC his house ended up so full of gear he bought another house to live in!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='477885' date='May 2 2009, 06:28 PM']I used to hire PA from Jesse when I was at uni there - a legend. IIRC his house ended up so full of gear he bought another house to live in!

Alex[/quote]

If he'd said to you what he said to me about speakers, you'd burst.

Jesse is the best guy in the world to take it to.

A Sound City can have about 40,000v current whizzing around in there, so DO NOT attempt to do anything on it unless you are qualified to do so. And you might mess it up too.

Jesse will do it for a few quid, fixed a Hiwatt I had for £5 once and the chance to crank it up!