Why become a member? ×

NBD: Sire V7 2018

PatrolOfStroll

Afternoon everybody.

Today I've taken delivery of a second-hand V7 I ordered online from The Bass Gallery in London. Having previously owned only a 2008 Squier Affinity Jazz Bass, which I bought when I was 17, and barely played until I was almost 30, this is a big deal for me.

I have a job start date coming up, and had been window shopping a lot for the time I start to receive paycheques. A few weeks ago, a friend offered me a no-strings-attached loan, to pay back at my leisure, to get myself one already, rather than waiting. At the time, I declined, and told him I'd just be patient! For every bass I liked which had sold through by the time I was paid, another would take its place in my affections by the time I had money, I told him. Well, the other night, I think he must've got sick of the pictures I was excitedly showing to him from my window shopping, so he paypal transferred 500 quid to me and said "You work it out"! Should be plenty comfortable to pay him back within 2 paycheques if not 1, so I don't feel too bad about taking his money. And I'll work out a nice little gift to send to him for his kindness too.

I went and worked it out, and this is the one I picked. It was between this, or a Fender MIM Siennaburst Mustang Bass PJ that Bass Direct have had listed in their second-hand section. Seems like a beautiful instrument, but it would've cost 50 quid more than this Sire, and I had heard so much about Sire quality that I wasn't sure I'd be seeing much value from that extra 50, when we're talking a smaller bass, with 4 shorter strings, 4 string hardware, a plastic nut, and a Fender decal on the head.

Back on topic. I can't believe how much better this feels than my beleaguered '08! For the past couple of lazy years of too-little practice, I had been of the opinion that, realistically, my Squier was still outstripping my ability to play it, as-in, my skill level didn't yet warrant a new bass. But playing with this, I already know now how wrong I was! Everything about this feels like a dream by comparison. Helped, no doubt, by it having had an expert's set-up performed for me, whereas the Squier and its amateur-installed aftermarket hardware only had my own handiwork, intuition, and Google skills seeing to it. But everything about it feels absolutely rock solid. I had wondered if Sire's vaunted good value mightn't have come from corners cut on tuners, bridge etc. But I truly cannot say that turned out to be the case at all, indeed I'm shocked how solid they are here, at least on mine. And the previous owner has kept it in absolutely pristine condition. It sounds great, and further to that, it's also just relieving to be free from aftermarket EMGs which in some manner or other developed a mystery microphony problem...

I'm in love with it already. White finish and tort scratchplate is my ideal JBass visual combination, too, as the cherry on top. I feel like this new bass of mine has uncorked a wine bottle of enthusiasm for practicing.

PXL_20230606_094903646.thumb.jpg.761b16aab860d4c7bf90dac797f01d25.jpg

• Like 14

Firstly I believe that there are very few bad basses on sale currently. The standard of construction and quality control is a  class above what was available when you were 17.

Secondly the Sire was designed around Marcus Miller and he insisted on quality.  There's a video somewhere that you might want to watch. 

There's also that "honeymoon period " that goes with buying a new bass - it always feels better than what you already have. 

Enjoy your new toys!!

• Like 2

Indeed I will! Some other friends have corroborated similar experiences with 00s Squier guitars too, seems they treated those things as more-or-less disposable instruments back then. I'm glad the tide rose and forced Squier's boat to lift in the meantime.

• Like 1

Good score. I got a V7 5 string in ash recently. after owning some high end basses, these are way up there. The pickups sound amazing without the preamp imo through an Aguilar/Eden rig. But when you flick that switch its 18v beast mode. Set up right these are fantastic. This is my fourth V7. 

• Like 2