Why become a member? ×

Herrick Pickups 4 coil Alnico 5 + Neodymium P pickup?

Just discovered these, Herrick Pickups 4 coil P pickup, that is one dedicated coil per string/for each of the 4 pole pieces respectively, and utilizing a combination of Alnico 5 and Neodymium Magnets (each pole piece being a short Alnico 5 rod (top end/closest to the strings) stacked on top of a short Neodymium rod magnet), Googling after Neodymium P pickups.

Also they are supposed to be shielded internally as well as utilizing shielded wiring, which ought to make them really quiet. 

I think they look really interesting, and am tempted to get a pair and try them out.

Anyone tried them?

image.jpg

https://www.herrickpickups.com/our-products/4-coil-split-p-humbucker/

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• Baloney Balderdash changed the title to Herrick Pickups 4 coil Alnico 5 + Neodymium P pickup?

I’ve just put a PJ set into a jazz bass. They sound pretty good, very modern and clear, quite high output….. but in terms of the build quality and materials used, I’m not so sure. Some of the work looks a bit scruffy underneath, and the wiring is really fragile. At the price point (these are not cheap), I’d like to see cloth covered wires, and tidier workmanship….. and some nice professional packaging on delivery. I saw none of those things.

All that said, they sound decent, and I know very little about building pickups.

I have a set of (hidden) 1x coil per string pickups in my Psilos bass - very happy with them.

I commissioned Martin to build a set of MM Ray style pickups for my Kawai which I was less pleased with - really because I expected something special but got something not out of the ordinary. Can't deny that he knows what he's doing though.

• Like 2

I’ll take back a little of what I said, in that I’ve spent all morning on the bass in question and I’m really enjoying it a lot. The pickups are actually really great in terms of tone, very very nice indeed, however ….. the rest, in terms of the presentation of the pickups I stand by. One of the wires had come off when I opened the package, so I had to re-solder it. Not ideal for a brand new pickup, and really, I’d like to see professional packaging…. it looked like a used item from eBay. Nitpicking maybe, and at the end, they sound really good, so in terms of the point of the pickups I’m happy.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rayman said:

I’ve just put a PJ set into a jazz bass. They sound pretty good, very modern and clear, quite high output….. but in terms of the build quality and materials used, I’m not so sure. Some of the work looks a bit scruffy underneath, and the wiring is really fragile. At the price point (these are not cheap), I’d like to see cloth covered wires, and tidier workmanship….. and some nice professional packaging on delivery. I saw none of those things.

All that said, they sound decent, and I know very little about building pickups.

Hmm, looking at that photo I provided of the pickup the wiring doesn't seem particular fragile to me, but of course I haven't seen how they are attached underneath the pickups.

And personally I'd prefer the modern shielded main pickup connection wire they are supposed to come with (that is a wire where the ground runs as a braided shield all along the insulated hot/signal wire), to vintage type cloth covered unshielded wires.

Also personally I couldn't care less about the packaging. 

42 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I’ll take back a little of what I said, in that I’ve spent all morning on the bass in question and I’m really enjoying it a lot. The pickups are actually really great in terms of tone, very very nice indeed, however ….. the rest, in terms of the presentation of the pickups I stand by. One of the wires had come off when I opened the package, so I had to re-solder it. Not ideal for a brand new pickup, and really, I’d like to see professional packaging…. it looked like a used item from eBay. Nitpicking maybe, and at the end, they sound really good, so in terms of the point of the pickups I’m happy.

That one of the wires had come loose at arrival does seem worrying though in terms of the build quality, though that could just had been a case of being unlucky and it actually not being a general issue with these pickups.

In any case I appreciate sharing your experience with these.

And it has not scared me off still very much being very interested in trying these out.

As said all I really care for it how they sound (at least as long as the build quality is decent enough, never mind how it looks).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1