Why become a member? ×

Small Bodied DB Top Damage

Not sure if this post should be in Repairs and Tech? I have Kania De Gamba small bodied DB that I’m very happy with. It seems to be very easily sustaining damage to the top. Pics below. I use the bass for pizz as well as pluck and slap….which might explain the damage by the fb but it seems to be getting damage all over. It has been gigged 6/7 times over the 10 years I’ve had it. I have other DBs that are completely undamaged. It’s rarely in it’s case ….which is a very tight fit.

Could it be the type of lacquer for example? Should I repair it before it gets worse? Should I somehow protect it (different lacquer?) Should I watch it crumble and disappear under my fingers and bow?

86D25399-6C0C-43B9-9FD1-56EE289B6C7D.jpeg

B3991D4C-E831-4FD0-96AD-C9260AC00E88.jpeg

1E97AE52-BD94-418F-9DAB-42480A31E552.jpeg

1A25A3E6-6BF6-40E9-926B-562A089E5FA2.jpeg

06866823-D80F-48C0-818E-A1AA4316CAEF.jpeg

52 minutes ago, lowlandtrees said:

It has been gigged 6/7 times over the 10 years I’ve had it.

Srsly? I do 50 gigs a year with a rock'n'roll band and my pre-owned (small-bodied) Kolstein Busetto after three years looks nothing like as bad as yours. 🧐

I know very little about this make, and all I could find online related to someone called Dub on Basschat (in East Fife) selling his 10 years ago. To you, I imagine? What do you imagine this bass would be worth if in pristine condition?

It looks to me like the only way to stabilise the condition of that bass would be a complete refin with a much stronger lacquer / varnish being used, especially on the edges. Best bet would be that the refin might cost more than the value of the bass, certainly more than the value it would add back to the bass.

Looking at the damage, it looks like a worse example of the damage I have done to 3/4 and 4/4 basses when laying them down quickly on the stage as I switch to electric bass mid-set. That doesn't happen with the Kolstein because it's too shallow to lay on its side. Do you have any idea just how that damage was actually done?

Looks like poorly adhering lacquer to me, either a poor quality product or bad surface preparation. I would just leave it until it gets really bad then maybe look at a refinish.

Has anyone used tung oil to touch up double bass finishes? That's what I normally use to touch up woodwork in other situations.

8 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Srsly? I do 50 gigs a year with a rock'n'roll band and my pre-owned (small-bodied) Kolstein Busetto after three years looks nothing like as bad as yours. 🧐

I know very little about this make, and all I could find online related to someone called Dub on Basschat (in East Fife) selling his 10 years ago. To you, I imagine? What do you imagine this bass would be worth if in pristine condition?

It looks to me like the only way to stabilise the condition of that bass would be a complete refin with a much stronger lacquer / varnish being used, especially on the edges. Best bet would be that the refin might cost more than the value of the bass, certainly more than the value it would add back to the bass.

Looking at the damage, it looks like a worse example of the damage I have done to 3/4 and 4/4 basses when laying them down quickly on the stage as I switch to electric bass mid-set. That doesn't happen with the Kolstein because it's too shallow to lay on its side. Do you have any idea just how that damage was actually done?

Believe it or not, these around £3k new. The damage on the side by the fb is likely my slap technique but I noticed recently that the wood is beginning to chip away. I have no idea how the other marks were made as, apart from the slap, I’m very careful. 
it was myself who bought the bass from Dub 10 years ago. It sounds and plays great but I don’t think that I would be prepared to get a refin…as you say, probably cost more than it’s worth. 
I contacted the builder a while back about something else and got pretty neg response.

Reflecting on this, I think if it was mine, I'd try rubbing a bit of tung oil into one of the damaged bits to see how it came up. If it looked good, I'd probably touch up ongoing damage with that until it got too extensive or I found myself with time on my hands, at which point I'd do a DIY refinish, carefully sanding off the lacquer with very fine paper and applying 4-5 coats of tung oil, the first couple diluted with 20% or so white spirit.

57 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

Reflecting on this, I think if it was mine, I'd try rubbing a bit of tung oil into one of the damaged bits to see how it came up. If it looked good, I'd probably touch up ongoing damage with that until it got too extensive or I found myself with time on my hands, at which point I'd do a DIY refinish, carefully sanding off the lacquer with very fine paper and applying 4-5 coats of tung oil, the first couple diluted with 20% or so white spirit.

I read a bit about tung…it says that it penetrates into the wood? The strange thing is that the neck is in perfect condition. 

If it’s a gigging instrument, it’s all part of the deal.

It wouldn’t bother me. My old Boosey and Hawkes bass was in much worse condition. 

You have to understand whether the wear is caused by your playing or how you store or leave the bass. I’ve seen some players add a block or some kid of protector to the bass so they’re not laying it down on the ground, which can cause lots of wear.

Wood can always be refinished but if you’re just going to damage it again, where the point!

Tung is said to penetrate but it doesn't actually go very deep. The great advantage is ease of application - just rub it on with a cloth, and coats can go on wet on wet if required. A few coats gives a nice semi-matt oiled finish, and a lot of coats gives a lovely soft gloss. Any chips or scratches can be immediately touched up.

On a full blown orchestral bass I might be more cautious in case it affected the sound in some way (I strongly doubt it would but who knows...) But on a small bodied bass or EUB I'd give it a go.

• Thanks 1

I get what your saying but this bass has only gigged max 10 times…I have 60s German three quarter and an ancient Hawkes. It’s permanently on a stand and rarely moved so no knocks, dings etc. It’s sometimes in full sun!…..I keep my other instruments in the shade.  I can’t see any reason…other than the slap as to why this would happen. I’m thinking that it’s a poor lac job as stated. The older instruments look fine as relics but I don’t think damage would suit this one

If you run your finger over the affected areas, is the wood still smooth and in shape? If there had been a hard knock -hard enough to chip off good varnish - the wood would be slightly crushed or dented. I can't quite see what's going on from the pics. If it's all smooth and undamaged, it's definitely a problem with the varnish.