Why become a member? ×

Noteflight

wulf

Tonight I finished off my practise time by investigating [url="http://www.noteflight.com/"]Noteflight[/url]. This is a notation editor but with two big distinguishing features from most of the competition:

1. It is free to use

2. It is an online product which you access via your web browser.

I found it relatively easy to pick up and it did everything I demanded of it tonight (rough bass transcription including some triplet runs and a couple of bits of text to mark key points). I have only scratched the surface but suspect there are plenty of things it can't do (I didn't notice an option for cross noteheads to denote ghost notes, for example, although I didn't need them tonight and so didn't look) but if you do like to write notation but find you can't read your scribbles back when it comes to use them, it is definitely worth a look.

Wulf

[quote name='dlloyd' post='478021' date='May 3 2009, 12:03 AM']I currently use Finale Notepad, which is free and fairly easy to use. It certainly has some limitations, so I would appreciate it if anyone who has experience of both could compare them.[/quote]
Is it still free? I used to use it and recommend it all the time - then someone came back to me and said they'd started charging a "small" fee for it.

[quote name='Eight' post='478439' date='May 3 2009, 07:10 PM']Is it still free? I used to use it and recommend it all the time - then someone came back to me and said they'd started charging a "small" fee for it.[/quote]

I downloaded it last a few months ago... it was free then.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='478530' date='May 3 2009, 08:59 PM']I downloaded it last a few months ago... it was free then.[/quote]
Ah cool. Notepad is a great tool.

I haven't had a chance to play with Noteflight properly yet (just figuring out where certain stuff is etc.) - but as a plus over Notepad, I like that it's online and that I don't have to worry about cross compatibility between Linux and Windows. I know that doesn't apply to many, but it's a real selling point for me.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='dlloyd' post='478021' date='May 2 2009, 11:03 PM']I currently use Finale Notepad, which is free and fairly easy to use. It certainly has some limitations, so I would appreciate it if anyone who has experience of both could compare them.[/quote]
It is several years since I last used Finale Notepad. My impression is that Noteflight is slightly more powerful (does Notepad still have limitations about changing key / time signature mid-song?). The online thing is its unique feature though (cross platform benefits and also potentially easier to share with others as well).

Wulf

[quote name='wulf' post='476477' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:51 PM']Tonight I finished off my practise time by investigating [url="http://www.noteflight.com/"]Noteflight[/url]. This is a notation editor but with two big distinguishing features from most of the competition:

1. It is free to use

2. It is an online product which you access via your web browser.

I found it relatively easy to pick up and it did everything I demanded of it tonight (rough bass transcription including some triplet runs and a couple of bits of text to mark key points). I have only scratched the surface but suspect there are plenty of things it can't do (I didn't notice an option for cross noteheads to denote ghost notes, for example, although I didn't need them tonight and so didn't look) but if you do like to write notation but find you can't read your scribbles back when it comes to use them, it is definitely worth a look.

Wulf[/quote]

Nice one cheers!

You can definitely change the note head to a x just did it.

But I'm not sure how I did it (all a bit hit and miss playing about with it at the moment)

OK found it.

Select a note, see the orange box with options, it has a down arrow on the bottom edge, click that - it opens up a bundle of extra options for that note including an x note head. Still sounds like normal if you hit play though....

Edited by 51m0n