Why become a member? ×

Double bass player wanted for established American Old-Time band: north Essex / Suffolk area

pete.young

The American Old-Time band I play in is looking for a double bass player, or an experienced bass guitarist who wants to learn upright.

Our fiddle player has retired from playing and I've moved from double bass to mandolin, lap steel and other instruments to fill out the sound. I'd prefer to find someone who is already playing upright, but I can show someone the basics and temporarily loan my student bass to soneone looking to take up upright.

The band has members in Clacton, Colchester and Ipswich, and we usually rehearse in Colchester. We have a couple of bookings in the diary for the summer and would like to build back up to 10-15 gigs a year, where we were before Covid and other things intervened.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 13/05/2023 at 17:01, pete.young said:

The American Old-Time band I play in is looking for a double bass player, or an experienced bass guitarist who wants to learn upright.

Our fiddle player has retired from playing and I've moved from double bass to mandolin, lap steel and other instruments to fill out the sound. I'd prefer to find someone who is already playing upright, but I can show someone the basics and temporarily loan my student bass to soneone looking to take up upright.

The band has members in Clacton, Colchester and Ipswich, and we usually rehearse in Colchester. We have a couple of bookings in the diary for the summer and would like to build back up to 10-15 gigs a year, where we were before Covid and other things intervened.

Damn, would have loved this @pete.young, until relatively recently I was commuting to Colchester from Kent as well. Bit too far now i'm not :( 

Hope you find the right person soon 👍

9 hours ago, Flyingbassman said:

Are you dtill looking for a double bass player 

Yes, we're still looking. I'm on holiday for the next couple of weeks so I won't be on basschat much but you can reach me through email to [email protected]

And we're playing at Folk East on Sunday 20th, in the main bar during the afternoon. If anyone is there please come up and say hello.

Edited by pete.young

8 hours ago, Beedster said:

Damn, would have loved this @pete.young, until relatively recently I was commuting to Colchester from Kent as well. Bit too far now i'm not :( 

Hope you find the right person soon 👍

Damn @Beedster you would have been the perfect person!

Here's a clip from a recent acoustic showcase set we did at Coda in Colchester, recorded on someone's phone so the sound isn't great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/09/2023 at 23:55, Paddy Morris said:

I don't know if you ever need a dep upright bass player?  I'm from Colchester and I'm back down there quite often.  I've picked up a few one-off drop-ins to bands whose regular upright player can't make a specific gig.

Let me now.

Thanks Paddy, I'll let you know. I was hoping to find someone full time though.

• 4 weeks later...