Why become a member? ×

Overwater J Bass prototype 5 string *And GONE*
£1700
Sheffield

gadget

Overwater 5 string J Bass Prototype 5 string for sale or trade. *Final Price drop to £1400*

Here we have an unique bass which is a prototype for a mid priced bass range that Overwater were exploring back around 2012. The range was to sit between the top of the range custom series and the low priced 'Overwater by Tanglewood' range. The series never came into fruition, but this prototype was one of a handful that were sold after their development. The rear of the headstock is signed by Chris May (more on that shortly). 

Made in England at Overwater's headquarters in Carlisle, it features a John East preamp, and Overwater's own standard J hum-cancelling pickups. The output is pretty 'hot' but not aggressive. Sounds amazing. Body wood appears to be Alder but I cannot confirm this. Neck wood is maple with a maple fretboard with inlays (possible Rosewood?) 

Feel of the neck is smooth and although a 35" scale neck, very easy to play. Weighs around 3.7 kgs, so not light, but definitely not heavy. Condition is really good, with only a couple of very minor light nicks. I've tried to put pics of them up, but they really are minor. 

As you may note, the signature and serial number look a little odd... It would appear as though a previous owner has tried to rub down the finish on the neck, then realised they were rubbing off Chris' signature, so then painted a varnish over them (hence the mild smudging). I have spoken to Chris May (Overwater owner) and verified with him that this is in fact his signature, and not a forgery. He took the liberty of explaining the bass origins.

Comes with a Hiscox Lite flite case. The case has a crack on one corner (a different bass was in this case when it happened, and was unharmed) , though being a HIscox, is still structurally sound, and still fully useable in general use (though I'd not recommend sending it through any airlines cargo holds). It does its job and protects the contents as it should in everyday use. 

This is a fantastic playing and sounding bass, but its just not 'me'. Trades wise, I would consider 5 strings, something along the lines of Sei bass, Goodfellow, Shuker, etc, or maybe a Lakland or Musicman Stingray 5. Not interested in Fender or Gibson. May also consider Markbass or Vanderkley 2 x 10 cabs plus cash difference? Must all be in good condition and good working order to be considered.

Pickup only from Sheffield, though I may be able to meet within reasonable distance. Sometimes I am around the Liverpool and Kendal areas too. The bass is in full working order and I have tried to describe anything that needs mentioning in as much detail as I can, however, please note this bass is sold as seen with no returns. If you wish to try the bass before to confirm all is in order, then you are welcome to contact me. 

20230210_135443.jpg

20230210_135457.jpg

20230210_135506.jpg

20230210_135513.jpg

20230210_141641.jpg

20230210_141647.jpg

20230210_141702.jpg

20230210_141707.jpg

20230210_141749.jpg

20230210_141825.jpg

Edited by gadget
Price drop
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of people asking me about string spacing... I am unable to measure it accurately, but with a tape measure I am getting it between 18mm and 19mm at the bridge. 

I'm also a little bit negotiable on the price, and quite flexible, so if you wanted to split it into two paytments over two months for instance, talk to me? Bass would only be 'released' once its paid for, but I want to be flexible where I can if it helps? 

Regards
G! 

Edited by gadget

• gadget changed the title to Overwater J Bass prototype 5 string *PRICE DROP*
  • gadget changed the title to Overwater J Bass prototype 5 string *FINAL PRICE DROP*
  • gadget changed the title to Overwater J Bass prototype 5 string *FINAL PRICE DROP to £1475*
1 hour ago, retro said:

Hi. Nice bass and light for a five string Overwater. Which John East pre amp is it? Has it got a mid sweep?

Cheers, yer, it is a nice bass, but just not me... The East Pre I think is Bass/Treble stacked nob, with a 'bright' push/pull too. Don't know which model pre this is though? I will have to pull it out and have another look to confirm? Haven't had it out for a while. 

Regards

G

11 hours ago, retro said:

That's what I thought. Vol, blend and stacked bass/treble. Really need mids too. 

Thanks

No Problem. Obviously, you could always fit another pre to it, but I've not found it lacking at all without the mid control. I guess it depends what kind of sounds you are wanting to be able to get, and what you expect out of a J type bass? 

Regards
G

• gadget changed the title to Overwater J Bass prototype 5 string *FINAL PRICE DROP to £1400*
  • 2 weeks later...
  • gadget changed the title to Overwater J Bass prototype 5 string *FINAL Offers Considered*
4 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

This is such a cool piece of Overwater history, I wish I had the funds/need to pick it up!

Yer, I can't believe its still here to be honest. Such a nice bass. I guess more people with less disposable income is the key. 

Regards
G

• Like 1

• gadget changed the title to Overwater J Bass prototype 5 string *And GONE*