Why become a member? ×

Hello everyone.

Viperpunk

Hi, I am Viperpunk and I never know what to write in those introductions.

I am a proud owner of a "cheapo bass" Cort Action plus in transparent red, and it is the most beautiful and amazing thing in the world and I am going to die on this hill! lol As you can see, I am not objective here, because I fell in love. I can't be held accountable, love has it's own rules. But seriously I am surprised how much I like it. It is not what I wanted, it is what I had to settle for. I am sort of an Ibanez psychofan and as my first bass I wanted Ibanez SR 300 in iron pewter ( I know, everyone's and their dog first bass, I swear I made that decision before knowing that though) however after almost two years of saving and watching the price go higher and higher, I decided I need to revise my options or I'll be just saving for the rest of my life and never actually have anything. And that is how the Cort happened. I was worried I will be dissapointed just because it is not "the one" and doesn't have humbackers, but no such thing. It turned out to be so much nicer than I expected. I am genuenly in love. I know it is nothing to write home about and everyone here will probably laugh, but it is mine, it plays and it is beautifull to me and that is all that counts.

I can't say that I play, more like I attempt to play for best part of three days  now and I am terrible at it but I'm having the time of my life. I wanted to play bass for forever (well first I wanted to play violin, 6 year old's are weird like that) but as a teenager I for some reason decided that I am too stupid for this whole music thing and shouldn't even try anymore. I used to have keybord but as my parents couldn't afford private lessons for me, I failed at figuering this all out on my own from the books (the pre-internet times we are talking about here) and so since a 12 year old couldn't understand music theory and learn to be a virtuozo on its own that clearly meant too stupid and never will get to anything. Teenagers are touchy I suppose. Anyway I just settled, made my peace with the fact I will never play myself and be always just enjoying music from the sidelines and ruining my hearing by standing as close to the bass amp at concerts as possible and never even thought about this again. For some reason I bought this whole "you are bad at maths so you can't learn music" ... I can count to four though. There is many musicians with discalculia as far as I know.

Anyway I suddenly woke up about two years ago and realized it is all not true. Sure I probably will never be good at it but that doesn't mean I can't try and have fun with it. Times have changed and with all this resources avilable now, where we can actually hear and see what is being taught it should be easier than trying to make sense out of a book. Not to mention I am quite a bit older now and more patient.

So this is how I got here, after almost two years of planning hopeing and salivating  I am finally doing it, making my childhood dreams come true! And you know what makes me the most happy? My dad ( I put his age here initially but maybe I should not expose him like that) seems to be interested too, at first he said I'm crazy but three days in, he is already telling me I need to get number stickers for the fretboard because he gets lost and needs them numbered... HE gets lost... I don't seem to have a problem for some odd reason lol I don't mind getting stickers if it will make him want to play more. I am happy to share, we will see who learns faster I guess.

OK, how is that for "about me"? You probably got the most important thing - I talk too much!

Happy to meet everyone! I hope you don't mind an overexcited noob around here.

Edited by Viperpunk
Some obvious typos I can't see
  • Like 3

Nice to meet you, and yea, it's never too late to do what your heart desires! Most of my achievements came later in life. I'm so pleased you're doing what makes you happy. Very cool that your dad is also learning to play. I'm another one who knows nothing about music theory, but it didn't stop me from using a keyboard for some of my songs, I just had to play the melody by memory instead. A lot of us have taught ourselves guitar. There are so many tutorials on the internet, but I'm sure you'll find your own path. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 2

Hello from one newbie to another.

My profile may say I've been here since Nov last year, but I only made my first post at the end of March.

It's amazing that you seem to have found 'the one' so soon.

If something makes you happy, and it's not hurting anyone else in the process, then just keep on doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

Mark

• Like 2