Why become a member? ×

Peterson 150w ElectroVoice combo

TheGreek

I maintain that gear from the 80s was as good as it ever got. Most of us were playing through Fender, Marshall or Trace Elliot amps and producing the best tones the music industry ever recorded. After the 80s equipment didn't get better, it just got lighter. The equipment we used 40 years ago (I know, it doesn't feel like it) is probably still working, even if it is gathering dust in somebody's garage or spare room, while amps produced from 2000 has died and been thrown away, to be replaced with more disposable, famed for a day then chuck it away, dispensables.

This brings me on to my review for this classic piece of British built amplification - the famed, or not, Peterson 150w ElectroVoice combo. Made in 1989 by the Norfolk based company, owned by Mr Pete Tulett who designed this and the other amps and combos in the Peterson range. Selling for £537 (was that a lot of money in 1989?) this little monster was famed, by those who knew of Peterson, as a mighty little beast that punched well above its 46LBs. It was loud back then, and guess what....it's loud today - and that comes from somebody who uses Trace Elliot. 

TBH I only knew Peterson vaguely by reputation in the 80s, spoken in whispers by those who were familiar with this necromancy and spoke about Wal, Overwater and Alembic - this is a Premier League amp with tones you'd expect to be compared to Ronaldo, Giggs and Beckham. 

Before you even plug your bass in, it's impressive. Like a beautiful piece of mahogany furniture it could easily live in your living room - add a well crafted door and Mrs BCer would love to have it next to her Queen Anne cabinet.

I played it earlier - 1 on the gain, 2 on the master volume - and it was impressively loud, punchy, clear and refined, even at low levels. Tones felt warm and familiar - like your favourite blanket on an Autumn evening - welcoming and inviting to your ear. Yes, memories of the 80s came flooding back - is this what we were aspiring to all those years ago? Tones reminiscent of Simple Minds, Spandau and Duran at their best, the phattest American soul - all available in this little box. God really loved the people who made and played these - they were clearly his favourites.

The amp came with a ton of literature - which I'll post shortly - outlining it's qualities and performance statistics. For those that like that stuff and find it interesting it'll be good reading and I'm sure it will compare favourably with the best of today's favourites. 

Unfortunately for the rest of you, but not me, you don't have access to this box of tricks. It sounds so right!! Close to everything you ever wanted from an amp - warm, clear, full of depth and range, tonally very impressive.

Was I impressed? You bet!!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/04/2023 at 18:20, TheGreek said:

The equipment we used 40 years ago (I know, it doesn't feel like it) is probably still working, even if it is gathering dust in somebody's garage or spare room, while amps produced from 2000 has died and been thrown away,

I have two HH bass amps (VS100 Bass and Bassamp 100) in my garage, both working well as far as I know. Manufactured 1972 and 1973. I have replaced the pots, but that is not bad for 50-year-old amps. One day I will take them to rehearsal, however they are a bit bigger and heavier than my Bugera😇.