Why become a member? ×

Drive/compression newbie help

Minininjarob

Hi All. I have a Fender Downtown Express which had EQ, overdrive and compression sections on it. 
I thought I needed the overdrive for the sound I wanted but I can’t seem to use it in a way I’m happy with. 
I like the EQ section I can use it. 
The sound I really like is when I put a little bit of compression on and turn up the drive in the compression section a lot. 
Thinking about it I want to explore this more but I’m not sure what I need if I go for seperate pedals. Would a separate compression pedal allow changes in the drive section or is there a separate drive pedal I can buy which would allow a fine tuning of the drive separate to the compression?

I play with a pick mainly fast punk stuff. I think I want to sound of an overdriven tube preamp, is that what the drive on the compression section of my fender pedal is emulating? 
My GK amp really growls when I turn it up which is almost the sound I want but that extra drive turned up is perfect. 

• Like 1

For punky stuff especially, a sansamp is a really solid drive option. I don't use one myself but have used the pedal and rack version in the studio and for gigs and it does give a really great full driven tone. Never really had time to really experiment with it though. 

You might not need a compressor at all if you get that stuff right, I do run an always on compressor but its so subtle that I often forget to turn it on.