Why become a member? ×

Wood I.D. Help Please

Mykesbass

One for the marvellous wood experts on here - I've bought some hardwood blocks for a (non bass - way too heavy) project. Lovely African hardwood thought to be either Camelthorp or Mapone, neither of which I am familiar with. Any ideas please?

IMG_20230426_141330_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230426_140742_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230426_140725_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Example of Khaya wild grain and colour last bit I have from a whole double sized pallet I had to sell quickly when I moved home 😭16828416420653175362795465207254.thumb.jpg.fe42962aa9303e6eaad0e360a30246c9.jpg

Ouch! 

There are so many different grains in what I have. Bought the crate load for £10 from a local wood recycler.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Ouch! 

There are so many different grains in what I have. Bought the crate load for £10 from a local wood recycler.

Laminate them together and make a bunch of end grain cutting boards. You can sell those for quite a bit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Laminate them together and make a bunch of end grain cutting boards. You can sell those for quite a bit.

Ooh, good one. I'm currently trying to laminate them the other way to make an outdoor table top to go on a mangle I've had knocking about for ages.

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Ouch! 

Ten quid a piece to a wood turner in a fancy diy or wood turning shop. Mykesbass is spot on. Fresh pair of eyes is gold dust

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Ouch! 

I had about 60 pieces between 6 to 8 ft long and 4x12 to 13 inches wide

GUTTED

36 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Ten quid a piece to a wood turner in a fancy diy or wood turning shop. Mykesbass is spot on. Fresh pair of eyes is gold dust

|Sorry got that totally wrong name wise lidl e made that post his suggestion about end grain boards

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Made by Christophe Leduc as well as the Pad, which was the high end version.

Padauk is sonically speaking close to maple.

If that was made out of this wood you would need three people to lift it!!

I never said, it was a light a bass.

You wanted to know what wood it is, now that you know it, you're starting a debate... There's something I don't understand in your reasoning.

This padauk wood is also used as beams for terrace, because of its high density and strong resistance to everything.

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

I never said, it was a light a bass.

You wanted to know what wood it is, now that you know it, you're starting a debate... There's something I don't understand in your reasoning.

This padauk wood is also used as beams for terrace, because of its high density and strong resistance to everything.

Wow, you really took that the wrong way!