Why become a member? ×

Blackstar U700 Reviews?

zbass1976

19 hours ago, Russ said:

I'm using a Barefaced Big Twin II, which, in general, requires quite a lot of juice to work properly. My main amp head is one of the new Trace Elliot TE-1200s, which throws out 1200W. :D 

We're also getting into that murky discussion about "class D watts" not being equivalent to class A/class AB watts. Technically, a watt is a watt - one joule per hour. But the best explanation I've heard is that a Class D power amp is super-clean and flat in response, with no additional harmonic colouration, so it sounds quieter. A more traditional valve or MOSFET power amp adds additional colouration and harmonics to the sound, so it ends up sounding "bigger" per watt of power.

A well designed Class D amp will generally be cleaner than a Valve amp designed for bass or guitar. Howeve a Valve amp may have compression built in.That will give more distorted watts (compression is distortion) and valves/transformers have the effect of taming the nastier sounds from a clipped amp. However the extra power will be marginal. 

Often the difference is in the inflated figure sone manufacturers quote. Remember many class D amps are designed with the consumer market in mind and are fighting the PMPO* mentality. 

*Peak Music Power Output.

• Like 1

Is this the same head as the Unity 700H-Elite ?  

The website isn't that useful but i've clicked through to the manual and it isn't truly 2ohm capable, they list different combinations of cabs and it looks like it is ok to 2.67ohms for 3x8Ohm cabs, but not for 2x4ohm cabs!

It's got way too many features and controls for me, I like my amps as simple as possible, but features like re-amping and the power amp voicing look interesting.

Matt

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

A well designed Class D amp will generally be cleaner than a Valve amp designed for bass or guitar. Howeve a Valve amp may have compression built in.That will give more distorted watts (compression is distortion) and valves/transformers have the effect of taming the nastier sounds from a clipped amp. However the extra power will be marginal. 

Often the difference is in the inflated figure sone manufacturers quote. Remember many class D amps are designed with the consumer market in mind and are fighting the PMPO* mentality. 

*Peak Music Power Output.

Better manufacturers do not rate using peak power or PMPO, they use RMS at whatever duty cycle is appropriate for the product.

• Like 2

On 31/08/2023 at 01:28, agedhorse said:

Better manufacturers do not rate using peak power or PMPO, they use RMS at whatever duty cycle is appropriate for the product.

I agree, but many "better" manufacturers do. RCF and QSC are prime examples, whereas Martin Audio quote the real power with the peak power added for information.

Turning my own argument on its head, Martin are a better manufacturer and RCF, QSC are not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I agree, but many "better" manufacturers do. RCF and QSC are prime examples, whereas Martin Audio quote the real power with the peak power added for information.

Turning my own argument on its head, Martin are a better manufacturer and RCF, QSC are not.

I was referring to bass amps in my reply. Bass amps intended for more professional applications are in general rated using RMS metrics.

Moving over to the pro audio side of things, powered speakers marketed towards the general masses are often rated using peak but any numerical rating is disingenuous because to the heavy (and complex) limiting algorithms used to protect the drivers. When you get to the more pro side of things you see more RMS metrics used, though more often I am seeing peak power along with RMS.

It's a slippery slope, the marketing guys have to market against others who are already doing it or they feel at a disadvantage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, agedhorse said:

I was referring to bass amps in my reply. Bass amps intended for more professional applications are in general rated using RMS metrics.

Moving over to the pro audio side of things, powered speakers marketed towards the general masses are often rated using peak but any numerical rating is disingenuous because to the heavy (and complex) limiting algorithms used to protect the drivers. When you get to the more pro side of things you see more RMS metrics used, though more often I am seeing peak power along with RMS.

It's a slippery slope, the marketing guys have to market against others who are already doing it or they feel at a disadvantage.

You ain’t whistling Dixie.

• Like 1