Why become a member? ×

Dual Truss Rods?

I have bought my first bass with dual rods & I'm tinkering to get it set up to my liking.

Now, when I make adjustments to the E+A side the neck responds immediately & it's pretty much flat with no buzz, nice!

However, adjustments to the D+G side are very slow to take affect & at the minute it's got a bit of relief & also a bit of buzzing, pants!

I think there's a couple of high frets & they'll be sorted soon.

So this may need a daft question but, is there a sequence for adjusting dual truss rods?

Any guidance would be gratefully received 😁

I have adjusted the dual truss rods on Rickenbackers a few times. Unless the neck is twisted, I have tried always to do the same to each rod and gently turn each in sequence. With Ricks I normally try for a flat board with minimum relief, per factory recommendation. Not always possible though.

Sounds like you may have to look at the frets, as you indicate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!

I have adjusted both equally but I'm thinking I might take quarter of a turn out of the bass side then gently add quarter to the treble side until it catches up.

I'm pretty sure the neck isn't twisted tho, the relief was fairly even albeit very high until I started to adjust it & the difference is minimal.

Very odd how one side responded immediately & the other side took hours.

Everyday's a school day!

Adjusting dual truss rods is quite easy, first set the treble side to be almost flat and then adjust the bass side to have slightly more relief.

This is known as differential fingerboard levelling by Leduc or B Bow by Le Fay.

Mike Tobias used the same approach for his dual truss rod basses and is also a friend and fan of Christophe Leduc work (and vice versa).

PS: The two truss rods don't cross over anywhere.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Adjusting dual truss rods is quite easy, first set the treble side to be almost flat and then adjust the bass side to have slightly more relief.

This is known as differential fingerboard levelling by Leduc or B Bow by Le Fay.

Mike Tobias used the same approach for his dual truss rod basses and is also a friend and fan of Christophe Leduc work (and vice versa).

PS: The two truss rods don't cross over anywhere.

Yup - spot on an all counts :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1