Why become a member? ×

Aphex 1402 xciter, just how then.......

sykilz

Has anyone got the Aphex 1402 bass xciter pedal, I`ve read a lot about them, and it sounds like I could use one, I run through a 250 watt combo, and want a sound that`s just a little bit "bigger". Obviously i thought I`d have to upgrade to a 4x10 , but people say that the Aphex expands your sound and makes you sound louder, and here`s the part I really don`t get, without placing extra load on the speakers. This would be ideal as my speakers are running just below clipping point at larger gigs with no p.a.. I`d welcome any knowledge or experience anyone has, positive or negative. Meanwhile I`ll just look at some more 4x10`s...........

I have the expanded rack version which I really really like. My flatmate has the pedal version which sounds great through his Ashdown 12" combo.
I don't think it'll make you louder in the way that you mean though. Although it's a great pedal in my opinion it sounds like you need a bigger rig if it's purely a lack of volume you're suffering from.

How about another Hydrive 2x10 cab to go with it for example?

I have both the pedal Xciter and the rackmount. They're both VERY effective. I don't use them at the same time, mind. :rolleyes:

It's that awful word "volume" again. The Xciter doesn't add anything to your volume as measured in dB, it somehow fills out your sound so that it is phatter and there's more happening. Your ears hear more, so it feels louder to you, even though the SPL is (probably) unchanged.

On a bass with an already-phat sound (like my Lakland Duck Dunn) it's a bit overkill frankly. But still fun.

On a bass with a thinner sound (like my Lakland Daryl Jones) it's just gorgeous.

And you get to say "But I haven't touched my volume control" to your guitarist as often as you like.

:)

Thanks, appreciate that!! The fact it has a "big bottom" control is making me want it, but with the price of cabs being so low on evil-bay right now, I think a trial run with another cab may be most effective. Annoyingly the Hydrive only has 1 speaker out, so I`ll have to take the head out and use on it`s own.

Ive got that pedal although i haven't used it in a couple of years now. I keep meaning to.
The last time i used it was with my MAG300 combo and it did indeed give me a bigger sound. Its not the miracle FX Aphex make out but it did thicken the low end up without changing the basic tone if tha makes sense.
Even the band noticed when i stopped using it. It just seems to add that something extra that gives you more depth.

Before anyone asks its not up for sale.

Next time we are playing in Stanford Le Hope (we do the welcome club a few times a year) your welcome to come and have a go at sound check.

Edited by dave_bass5