Why become a member? ×

Status carbon neck...what's inside?!

JosephMartyn

From the Status own website:

PLEASE NOTE: as the graphite moulding has a lighter core material, the drill will only cut through
about 6mm/ ¼” of the outer graphite. It will then be very easy for the drill to push into the core
material.

Some posts by SG users

QUOTE:

The thing that I wasn't expecting was that as soon as you drill through the carbon fibre to make the holes for the tuners it feels like there is nothing but air in the middle so you suddenly go from lots of resistance to none. Luckily I still have quite quick reaction times so I was able to stop before I ended up drilling all the way through to the front.

QUOTE :

after looking at some photos i noticed ther's some kind of foamy material inside it, can somebody confirm it?

QUOTE:

there's only 7mm or roughly 1/4" thickness of hard graphite for conventional neck fixing screws to bear into, after that you're into the soft inner foam core

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

PLEASE NOTE: as the graphite moulding has a lighter core material, the drill will only cut through
about 6mm/ ¼” of the outer graphite. It will then be very easy for the drill to push into the core
material.

Some posts by SG users

QUOTE:

The thing that I wasn't expecting was that as soon as you drill through the carbon fibre to make the holes for the tuners it feels like there is nothing but air in the middle so you suddenly go from lots of resistance to none. Luckily I still have quite quick reaction times so I was able to stop before I ended up drilling all the way through to the front.

QUOTE :

after looking at some photos i noticed ther's some kind of foamy material inside it, can somebody confirm it?

QUOTE:

there's only 7mm or roughly 1/4" thickness of hard graphite for conventional neck fixing screws to bear into, after that you're into the soft inner foam core

Well there goes my theory :) 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

material.

Some posts by SG users

QUOTE:

QUOTE :

QUOTE:

Perfect! 

Interesting stuff. Looking at the surface finish it looks to be pre-preg vacuum layup, which is surprising as that's super stiff and 2mm thick would probably be stiff enough. 6mm seems more like a wet lay and a lot of excess carbon (which is expensive!)

Once a mould is made then vacuuming and foam filling is quicker to mass produce each item but im thinking for cost and convenience on the prototype a wet lay on a shaped core would be sufficient...

When I start the build I'll try and post pics on my insta! :) (www.instagram.com/joseph.martyn.501)

• Like 1

it might be that they've added the additional material at the heel (and i guess maybe at the headstock) in order to give a better thickness to hold the screws?  2mm might well be enough to give the required stiffness to the neck but it's thin compared to the pitch of the screws commonly used to hold on a neck.

I'd guess that for the main section of the neck the carbon shell is much thinner (2mm seems about right)

Matt