Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror effects loop bypass question

Tnclimber

Hello. I searched the forum on this but could not find the exact answer.

I have an Bass Terror 500 with a preamp in the effects loop. On other solid state amps when I do this everything on the amp itself is bypassed except master volume.

On the OBT 500 it seems like the Gain knob still works. I was under the impression that the effects loop would bypass the pre amp on the orange amplifier itself. 

I am new to tube or hybrid amps. Am I missing something? Should the Gain on the amp be bypassed in this situation?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the reply.

The manual says "between the amps preamplifier section and output section." This means it is between the Gain control and output I think. Should this override the tube gain?

I think my rumble 800 head is the same and it bypasses everything but master volume.

That is a good thought. I cannot find any documentation that indicates it is parallel. That is weird enough on its own. If it were I would think Orange would talk about it.

Maybe I will give them a call. I'm just wondering if my amp is defective or something.

• 6 months later...
On 26/03/2023 at 02:14, Tnclimber said:

That is a good thought. I cannot find any documentation that indicates it is parallel. That is weird enough on its own. If it were I would think Orange would talk about it.

Maybe I will give them a call. I'm just wondering if my amp is defective or something.

I think you may be being misled because as a hybrid amp the overdriven sounds come from the preamp not the power amp, so the impact of the gain on tone is far greater.

Rather than just going into the FX return, another option is to switch to 'clean' mode, which may give you the sound you want.