Why become a member? ×

greghagger

I couldn't focus on iconic female bass players without looking at Suzi Quatro. She was a force of nature with her thunderous voice and solid bass lines and was the complete package.

I've picked the bass line from one of her number one hits, 'Devil Gate Drive' for the YouTube lesson this week. 

This tune has a classic rock shuffle groove and features a bass line that is fairly simple but with some nice little quirks. If you want a solid shuffle bass line that you can use for Rock and Blues then this is perfect. The bass line shows you how to join up chords with chromatic walk-ups and also how to perfect the shuffle 8th note groove.

Find out more in my latest YouTube lesson. Free PDF transcription under the video. 

She's a bit of an oddity for me.  I suppose as a kid the glam rock wasteland was peppered with artistes like Suzi Quatro, whose primary success was based off material written for her by other writers; don't get me wrong, stuff like Can The Can, 48 Crash and Devil Gate Drive were just wonderful 3-minute slabs of wonderment (along with similar stuff you might find in the back catalogue of bands like Sweet, Mud, The Rubettes, Screemer etc.).

My brother was a fan.  Ten years older than me, he bought the first couple of albums and put them on cassette for me, but I didn't really bond with them.  As a kid, the content didn't match up to the strength of the singles (I remember getting Sweet's 'Sweet F*nny Adams' and 'Desolation Boulevard' albums on cassette for Christmas one year and they were instant hits for me).

• Like 1

On 27/03/2023 at 10:03, NancyJohnson said:

She's a bit of an oddity for me.  I suppose as a kid the glam rock wasteland was peppered with artistes like Suzi Quatro, whose primary success was based off material written for her by other writers; don't get me wrong, stuff like Can The Can, 48 Crash and Devil Gate Drive were just wonderful 3-minute slabs of wonderment (along with similar stuff you might find in the back catalogue of bands like Sweet, Mud, The Rubettes, Screemer etc.).

My brother was a fan.  Ten years older than me, he bought the first couple of albums and put them on cassette for me, but I didn't really bond with them.  As a kid, the content didn't match up to the strength of the singles (I remember getting Sweet's 'Sweet F*nny Adams' and 'Desolation Boulevard' albums on cassette for Christmas one year and they were instant hits for me).

Yeah I know what you mean in terms of Suzi playing other writer’s material. I do like her 2022 album, Uncovered’ though. she’s playing sone really nice bass on ‘The Boss’ originally by James Brown. I made a lesson on that bass line today. 

On 28/03/2023 at 15:02, martthebass said:

Get to play this one every weekend in my current band.  We even include the choreography.......

Love it or hate it as a musician but it's definitely a crowd pleaser which is priority number one for a band like mine.

Nice, it’s a fun one to play!