Why become a member? ×

NPD - Mono Synth

stewblack

Just picked this up in a less than salubrious location in response to a FB advert.

IMG_20230323_181324.thumb.jpg.92cc3abc9bd2a89a2fbc819ef0ca37f9.jpg

It produces a bunch of sounds not dissimilar to those I can already produce on various of my pedals. But that hardly seems important.

Review:

I like it.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/03/2023 at 11:52, uk_lefty said:

Had one for a brief while, the sounds are very good but I couldn't get on with the tracking, sadly. 

I have to agree with you, and that's the reason I am sending it back.

Obviously, my muting is far from pristine, which is very important when you want to use this pedal, but even when doing everything in my power to make it work, it just would not agree with me :)

Things I found that help, if one's really into the pedal:

- a hotter signal. My low signal bass had a lot more trouble triggering the synth consistently (both passive basses)

- tone turned down completely to eliminate overtones that will trigger random synth noises

- flats or tapes instead of rounds... to eliminate more overtones

- that fluffy dampener thing that goes on the neck, once again to eliminate even more overtones :) (you see a pattern?)

- even though they say this should be the first in your chain, I had a compressor in front with compression cranked up to 11, since most your dynamics will be lost behind the synth triggers anyway

- a sponge or nordymute or similar, as even a medium-long note fading out can result in weird trigger noises

But even with these I could only get a consistent signal for slow riffs. It sounded AMAZING once I got used to the strict rules of playing with this pedal, but if you want to do anything "acidic" or goa-like with faster plucking, it's just not going to work, unless you're CRAZY good at muting and manage to find the one and only working sensitivity/signal/tone combination.

I am usually not a VST guy, and prefer hardware/pedals, but for this specific purpose I found https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/archetype-rabea is the solution. It's a LOT more forgiving when you're trying to play, and you have a lot more wiggle room with sensitivity, gates, filters, and various options. It costs roughly as much as the EHX pedal but provides a lot more flexibility, so unless you need a pedal to be on the stage, I can recommend.

Edited by whave
typos

Well, I don't like to be contrary...despite my reputation 🫣

But I have just run through all the presets I've saved playing along to a backing track, splitting the output to two amps (one direct the other the effect) and I can't  detect any problems 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Well, I don't like to be contrary...despite my reputation 🫣

But I have just run through all the presets I've saved playing along to a backing track, splitting the output to two amps (one direct the other the effect) and I can't  detect any problems 🤷🏻‍♂️

Would love to give your jams a listen just to see how it sounds when used properly, I really wanted to love this pedal you know :) 

And while I do know it's obviously my technique as well, the things that just did not work on the pedal do work on the VST without any issues, so I have already convinced myself it's not me :) 

12 hours ago, whave said:

Would love to give your jams a listen just to see how it sounds when used properly, I really wanted to love this pedal you know :) 

And while I do know it's obviously my technique as well, the things that just did not work on the pedal do work on the VST without any issues, so I have already convinced myself it's not me :) 

I tried to record it yesterday but Audacity kept crashing. I'll give it another go later

On 17/04/2023 at 13:53, whave said:

I am usually not a VST guy, and prefer hardware/pedals, but for this specific purpose I found https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/archetype-rabea is the solution. It's a LOT more forgiving when you're trying to play, and you have a lot more wiggle room with sensitivity, gates, filters, and various options. It costs roughly as much as the EHX pedal but provides a lot more flexibility, so unless you need a pedal to be on the stage, I can recommend.

I would be very interested to hear some bass through this.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...