Why become a member? ×

Strings

King Tut

Bought some strings from here . . [url="http://www.newstrings.co.uk/"]http://www.newstrings.co.uk/[/url] ,3 sets, 2 arrived the next daywith a note saying the third set would be sent in a couple of days. Got an email today advising the third set had been despatched.

Good prices and efficient service - nice!

ps - I'm not connected in any way (in many senses!!)

Col

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='474264' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:25 PM']Do they really last 5 times as long[/quote]

First, thanks from me too for the link

On the Elixir's, I've just fitted a set and first impressions weren't good. Elixir's sound quieter than non-coated to me and have a slighty strange (plasticky) feel - think of wrapping your strings very tightly in cling film and what that would do to tone and feel. I've been playing the new strings for around a week now and I'm starting to get used to it. I wouldn't say there was anything startling about the tone of Elixirs (they don't sound very bright or alive to me) but they seem very even, solid, fairly taut, and reasonably comfortable to play. As to longevity, I've heard much about stripping of the coating but I haven't experienced that myself (too early maybe?)

Hiya,,,,

Elixers came as standard on my Ibanez SRX705,,, thought they sounded great myself..

And yeah they did last a lot of gigs,,, however the strings do start shedding (like a snake) eventually..

I believe I heard somewhere they just buy strings in an them coat them...but I would certainly consider them again.

Re Elixers they'll not last long if you play with a pick...... the coating come off after a couple of songs

I hate the damn things..... I bought 2 sets for a pair of gigging basses, strung them up and they were on less than an hour

horrible !!!!

[quote name='Marcus' post='479167' date='May 4 2009, 05:54 PM']Re Elixers they'll not last long if you play with a pick...... the coating come off after a couple of songs

I hate the damn things..... I bought 2 sets for a pair of gigging basses, strung them up and they were on less than an hour

horrible !!!![/quote]

ive been usin elixers for 2 years, first time i used them i wasna to keen on them, but after playin with them i wouldna use any other make, yes they aint cheap but as stated they last forever, i went through two sets or ernie balls before i needed to change my elixers. As for playin with a pick... yes it may cut their life down, but not by much