Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass C taper volume pots mod

basstone

My '78 fretless jazz bass was fitted with A250K pots for volume and tone and the response was far ideal, all happening in the last few degrees! I had a ferret around in my spares drawer and found a couple of C taper reverse log 250K pots and thought I'd give them a try and they give a really linear sounding fade making getting a good blend much easier. That's a good result and one mod I'll do again on any similar 2 pickup, 2 volume control setup. I'd previously screened the control cavity and the pickup cavities with self adhesive foil, so there's minimal noise even when using only one pickup!

IMG_7754.thumb.jpg.b2c2ced31cc6cbcc3a90a8370b6f550c.jpg

IMG_7757.thumb.jpg.05f914686e897fb4c3739f691b180359.jpg

IMG_7756.thumb.jpg.218b7f1dcce083a35016eb5702b78a43.jpg

3 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Glad you've got a result you're happy with. I prefer 500K logarithmic for volumes and Linear for tone.

What difference did you notice with 500K? I usually associate 500K pots with humbuckers and 250K with single coils?

16 hours ago, paul_5 said:

I like 500K pots in Jazzes cos they're a bit brighter due to the extra impedance.

Not to be pedantic but it's due to the extra resistance and not impedance, making less high frequency content bleed to the ground (unless I have misunderstood something, might have something to do with raising the frequency of the pickup's resonant peak as well).

I prefer my P pickups wired directly to the output jack socket, which I've found makes them sound much more open and clear, though that of course is at the expense of any onboard control of Volume and Tone. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1