Why become a member? ×

Pedals in-line vs in FX loop

Undertone

Saw a Pedal Show video on guitarists who carefully consider which pedals go in-line before the amp, vs those in the FX loop (for their musical aims). Main consideration seemed to be with gainy peals, or when depending on amp gain for overdrive, and its interaction with said pedals.

I don't use fuzz, distortion, overdrive, other than perhaps a little (very) clean tube warmth / low harmonic distortion (no break-up). I also use compression, octaver, envelope filter - that's most of it (very occasional harmoniser, other modulation).

Do we have such issues with bass?  Does that answer change in the absence of overdrive?

Do any of you specifically choose (for sound aesthetics purposes) which effects go in front of the amp vs in the effects loop?  Which effects go where for you and why?  What considerations inform your choices?

Thanks

As a general rule you'd typically put reverbs and delays in the loop because you want them after your amps preamp.

I have a really nice preamp which I sometimes use direct into the amp fx return to bypass the onboard preamp altogether. It's too faffy to have as an actual setup for live (without everything in a rack) but I quite like running some light compression after the preamp to tighten stuff up too. 

Best option is to just try stuff and see what works, there's a whole bunch of ways you order your signal chain to get different results. 

• Like 1

It depends on the loop. If it's a parallel loop, you're only going to modulate a portion of the signal (usually 50%, unless there's a blend control).

If you have an effect that you want to apply to the entire signal, compression being a prime example, and a parallel loop, you'd need to put that in front of the amp to get the desired outcome.

The other thing to consider is that some effects loops are designed for studio-type effects which run a line voltage. If you have pedals which run at instrument-level voltage, they might not work the same way as you expect.

• Like 1

There's an effects send level knob, not sure if that's a blend. I'm guessing not but I've no idea (clearly...)

By example, the amps are Trace SMX, Eden WT, Ampeg SVT and Aguilar TH & DB series.

Not sure how to check if loops are line vs instrument voltage - I guess plugging stuff and observing output level will tell me (c.f. 'just try stuff' above).

Thanks for both replies. All good info.

Keep 'em coming.

Guitarists tend to use the FX loop as they are using the amps overdrive 

Modulation and delays sound better after overdrive / distortion hence the FX loop use 

For bass amps I don’t think it makes that much difference unless you’re bypassing the Pre amp etc 

I just use an FX loop on the pedal board rather than the amp itself. Much easier IMO plus it means you don't HAVE to use your amp all the time - easier for touring gigs or when you might have to share rigs etc. Sometimes I've been told I categorically have to use the backline so if my setup relied upon using an FX loop in an amp I'd have been scuppered.

I don't use a bass amp as I get the sound I need from my pedalboard, but on the board i most definitely use fx loops. Two types of loops; 'aby' loopers and  a 3 channel switchable parallel mixer pedal. The aby just switches in a send & return loop, no gain or phase but does have the ability to have channel A, channel B or both.

The trimixer is a different deal, up to 3 channels in parallel. The main benefit for me with this is the ability to control the send and return gain and phase. I've got some pedals which are easy to overload the input, but with the trimixer I can control the gain structure and make sure it's not too hot a signal, and likewise on the return. 

FX loops definitely helps you keep your signal under control.

20230321_165358.thumb.jpg.102a401c57b4817831f852ce7c39932e.jpg

20230321_165410.thumb.jpg.18870c9cb95b03f2c8d2e26714dc05d7.jpg