Why become a member? ×

Singing lead for the fist time...

I have been playing acoustic gigs with a mate of mine for over a year now, I play bass, he sings and plays guitar. Well a couple of months ago we added a drummer and have gone electric (still keeping the acoustic two piece going too) which is great fun, as until then I had only realy been playing electric at home.

Anyway, last week I started singing backing vocals (things like REM, the Jam) and the guys said that they liked my voice, and I should do some tracks on lead vocals.

I sing a fair bit at home, usualy while playing acoustic guitar, but I have noone to critisise me and say if its any good etc, and I'm crapping myself with the thought of going on stage and singing like someone who thinks he can sing...

So what can I do to practice? I can't record myself, as I can't afford a mic. My singing voice is fairly high, and to be honest, I usualy have to sing songs by female artists for my range (dont laugh).

The one they want me to do for fridays practice is "promises" by the cranberries - and im struggling to reach some notes unless i take the song down a semitone, but i dont like doing that - is it possible to extend your vocal range through practice?

i really do know NOTHING about singing, so help and suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

cheers

I've just gone through this myself.

I'm depping for a bloke who sings all the high songs (Police, etc) and went round singing along in the car to CDs. When doing it on stage I had no idea how much less you push your voice when amplified. Singing over a CD is like swimming with weights on your arms. It really disillusioned me.

So practice with the CD by all means, but when you rehearse with the electric band you will find your amplified vocal will be much better than you think and your voice will crack less often.

Good luck

Practice will definitely help your range.

I'm not saying you'll reach notes that you physically can't at the moment, but if you're only singing around the house, you certainly won't be reaching your absolute top note.

Also, breath from deep down, using your diaphragm not from the top of your chest, as that will restrict you.

And there's nothing wrong with dropping keys slightly as long as it doesn't alter the dynamics of the song itself. How do you think the likes of Sting/Bono/Bowie etc. still manage to do it?

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='473560' date='Apr 27 2009, 05:56 PM']So practice with the CD by all means, but when you rehearse with the electric band you will find your amplified vocal will be much better than you think and your voice will crack less often.[/quote]

This works two ways though surely?

If you are in a position where you have good monitoring or can hear the PA such as in a cushy rehearsal room, then I'd probably agree. If you're not, and this can often be the case in small pub/club gigs, then I'd argue you can often end up straining your voice trying to hear yourself over the din.

It's not always easy to stick a finger in your ear when you're playing bass as well!

I don't really sing lead, but I do sing a lot of harmony backing vocals, so I am talking through experience!