Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this Bass?

BetaFunk

9 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

Jamaladeen Tacuma on left and I think Al MacDowell on right. 

Another video of him with bass later on:

Ah thanks! So it's a Steinberger XM-2?

Yes Al MacDowell on the right but Chris Walker on the left. 

Chris Walker is listed as a Steinberger artist on their website so he's been a Steinberger player for a long time. 

Edited by BetaFunk
  • Like 1

I think Tacuma used Steinberger (L-2?) already with Cosmetics.

The white one is clearly a Steinberger: shape, three knobs in a row (EMG electronics, maybe the tilt eq), name in the body. Model is probably from early 90's.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, itu said:

I think Tacuma used Steinberger (L-2?) already with Cosmetics.

The white one is clearly a Steinberger: shape, three knobs in a row (EMG electronics, maybe the tilt eq), name in the body. Model is probably from early 90's.

Thanks. Yes Jamaaladeeen Tacuma had left PrimeTime by the time of this gig. The guy playing the Steinberger L2 is Chris Walker. 

A footnote to that is that Jamaaladeen's original Black Steinberger L2 had a later replacement white face and was stolen in NYC in 2018. 

Edited by BetaFunk
  • Like 1

This thread has sent me down a rabbit hole of Ornette Coleman/ Chris Walker/ Al Jarreau so thanks for that.

Watching the original video again I just noticed that Chris Walkers XL2 also has a TransTrem fitted- close up at 11:10.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMG456 said:

This thread has sent me down a rabbit hole of Ornette Coleman/ Chris Walker/ Al Jarreau so thanks for that.

Watching the original video again I just noticed that Chris Walkers XL2 also has a TransTrem fitted- close up at 11:10.  

Yes Chris Walker has had an interesting career. I'm admin on a couple of Ornette Coleman Facebook pages so try and keep up with anything and everything Ornette related. I'm in contact with Jamaaladeen Tacuma and a few other ex-Ornette sidemen. 

Thanks for the info on Chris Walker's XL2.