Why become a member? ×

D’Addario Half Rounds or Ernie Ball Roundwounds?

MrWriter

D’Addario Half Rounds or Ernie Ball Roundwounds?

Just bought another used bass and before setting it up and getting it to my liking I figured I’d buy some new stings, course.

But, I do find that regular round wound strings ( I typically use D’Addario EXL170 round wound 45,65,80,100) hurt my fingertips after a while (I don’t play that often) so I was thinking of giving the D’Addario Half Rounds a go, the ENR71 (45,65,80,100) as I’ve heard that they are easier on the ringer but because they are not flat wound they still have a bit of bite/grit to their tone.

I typically only play the bass when I’m making a recording in my small home recording studio, laying down the bass part and my music is electronic/industrial sort of stuff. Kind of Gary Human meets Nine Inch Nails sort of stuff with an electronic dance element and a hint of rock thrown in. But I don’t do slap/funk and hardly any rock. But I do want a nice deep ‘pad like’ bass sound that has a bit of bite and attack, while saving my fingertips. Also, I don’t dig in and play that hard, probably because I don’t want to hurt my fingertips and scrape the skin off them with the round wound strings I typically use (see above).

So, will the D’Addario ENR71 Half Rounds give me the sound I want and save my fingers or perhaps would changing to another brand, such as Ernie Ball and trying the Ernie Ball Super Slinky Roundwound bass strings of 45,65,80,100, or will the latter still have the same cheese grater effect of the D’Addario?

The bass they are going on is a Toby Tobias Pro 4 string neck through with active circuitry.

Thanks all.

I found the dadarrios very sticky and when that wore off they felt quite rough still.  Ive had great experience with the Elite's Groundwounds which are the same idea as the daddarios but cheaper and to me better.

Failing that if i ever have to use rounds (which i generally hate) i go for Fender 7150's.  Had a great fundamental, nice and smooth bit have more 'bite' than the above grounds

You always want to take it easy on the ringer 🙂 Sorry but that typo tickled my funny bone

I've switched from D'addario EXL to nickel Slinkies and found that they are slightly rougher, feel tighter to play and don't last quite as long. The reason I have stuck with them is that they seemed to have someting they add to the fundamental that gives me a punchier sound. I also detune my E to D on occasion and find that they sound better than the D'addarios in that respect as well. Also, since D'addario upped their prices, Slinkies are now cheaper.

I always use 45, 65, 85, 105