Why become a member? ×

Alembic spoiler?

maxoges

Depends on the condition of the Alembic - is it modded, does it have original pickups, is it roadworn or in good condition etc. Generally speaking, most Alembic Spoilers would sell second hand for over £2k and FS ads at £3k+ are not uncommon. I believe thats more than a Yamaha Attitude would sell for. However, Alembics are not for everyone - the Spoiler has a 32" medium scale and the strings are parallel from bridge to nut, so it might not be your thing if you prefer long scale 34"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Depends on the condition of the Alembic - is it modded, does it have original pickups, is it roadworn or in good condition etc. Generally speaking, most Alembic Spoilers would sell second hand for over £2k and FS ads at £3k+ are not uncommon. I believe thats more than a Yamaha Attitude would sell for. However, Alembics are not for everyone - the Spoiler has a 32" medium scale and the strings are parallel from bridge to nut, so it might not be your thing if you prefer long scale 34"

I have plenty of 34" basses, so thought I might try a 32" again. I had a Kubicki X-factor a few years back that I liked. I'll ask about condition and mods. Thanks!

It's not a bad deal but the Spoiler is a 'lower end' Alembic and like most Alembics, can be surprisingly heavy. Some people just don't get on with Alembics and their unique ergonomics. You do occasionally find the lower end Alembics changing hands for a lot less than the usual asking prices as they aren't in short supply. Worth giving it a shot though, I like them. 

• Like 2

Absolutely agree, it would be a good idea to get confirmation that the electronics and pickups are original. Though if the seller is not the original owner, they may not even know.

But I would certainly ask for as photo of the electronics cavity and pickups as it's not unusual for the electronics on some alembics to be removed and replaced with Bartolini pickups and electronics. Getting a full set of alembic electronics is not a cheap option. Also get a picture of the neck to headstock area since that is made in a way that the headstock can be repaired in the event of a fall. Sometimes when basses have dropped, there can be hairline cracks along the line of the laminates. 

• Like 1