Why become a member? ×

Fender Inspection Tag - what do the numbers mean?

dmc79

Just picked up a lovely 2021 black Mexican Player P. I'm not sure I've ever had a bass come with a Fender Inspection Tag, maybe once but a long time ago. I'm just curious what all the numbers mean. 

I've already done the Fender serial number lookup from the number shown on the headstock. It brings up the model number: 0149802506. This model number matches one of the barcode/number stickers on the red side of the card. Then there are 2 other barcode/number stickers alongside it: one starts MN followed by 7 numbers, the other starts MO followed by 7 numbers. 

So my questions are: what do those MN/MO stickers mean, and is there a reason why the serial number itself doesn't appear anywhere on the card? The white side of the card has signatures in all 4 boxes (prep, assembly, tune/test, inspector) but the Part Number & Serial Number spaces are left blank. Is that normal or did someone just forget to do their job? Thanks. Edit: I guess the P/N to the left of the signatures is the part number? Still, I'm surprised the serial number was left blank

Edited by dmc79

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

A cheapo Squier I picked up recently still had the tags in the bag with it, inc. a very strange one that had dire warnings implying that the instrument threatened "carcinogenic" and "birth defect" hazard!..... definitely a WTF job... 

Ha! Mine has the 'Cancer and Reproductive Harm' warning, whatever the heck that is all about. 

The cancer/reproductive warnings are for California Prop 65 regulation. Basically anything that is on their list of nasties must be cited if it is possible to be present through manufacture or residuals in the object. This is normally a CYA action that has manufacturers putting on labels to protect from possible liability. Since California is a big state for Fender, they make one label and it goes on their global stock. 

I would file vertically.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, uncle psychosis said:

Aren't those warnings likely related to the (tiny) amounts of lead (in the solder) or nickel (in the strings)? Could also be the paint - if you do a hendrix and set your guitar alight the fumes might be toxic. 

It seems ridiculous, but that's litigation culture for you. 

"This microwave is not for the drying of wet pets" is also ridiculous, but ask yourself why they issue the warning with every one sold? It's not just a different country, it really is a different country.