Why become a member? ×

String height measurement ?

dmccombe7

I do tend to use the same strings on most of my basses unless i've decided to try a new type. If i do change to a different gauge, mfr or type of string i check and adjust the neck relief if needed. Basically a full set up check to be honest.

As you point out the string height can be different from one bass to another and on my basses vary from 1.8mm to 2.5mm. That's because i use 2mm as a starting point and adjust until fret buzz stops and then i'll measure it. Because of how i play i've found that very few basses will let me get lower than 2mm without fret buzz or choking. Having a starting figure just saves me a lot of trial and error of gradually tweaking string height down till i get buzz and then back up to remove it. 2mm just seems to be a good starting point for me personally.

If i change to a different type of string the neck relief is usually the first thing i check once the strings are tuned. Once i'm happy with the neck relief i'll measure string height out of curiosity and adjust as required.

Dave

I use this as guideline, and check how it feels.

https://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-the-perfect-bass-guitar-setup

But tbh, I think I rarely measured the string height, mainly to make sure I respected the neck radius (ie for consistency). But everything gets signed off only after a round of playing, regardless what the measurements are.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 14:25, Smanth said:

For setting up my first time I followed the approach in these videos by Elixir, which are really clear (sadly in imperial measurements).  Having said that, I have tweaked things a bit in string height to allow for my playing style.

After all of this I then fiddle with my pickup heights to get a nice even sound/volume across the strings.  I've found that a sort of warbling/throbbing sound means the pickup is to close to the strings (I think the magnet in the pickup starts to pull too strongly on the string)

S'manth x

+1 about the pick-up height. This is something I only learned about quite recently tbh. And it's really important in order to avoid a muddy sound and also because pick-up height affects the sound quite a lot!

I found out about it when I watched this

• Thanks 1

On 02/01/2023 at 15:29, Bassfinger said:

Might as well get in there quickly...

You're all wrong, completely wrong, never heard such dangerous drivel. My way is right and you won't see any professional players doing it any way but mine, except for the professional players that don't but I conveniently won't mention them. You'll all suffer repetitive strain injuries, and Leo Fender will rise from the grave and haunt you. Anyone who doesn't do it my way is clearly impotent and cheats at monopoly.

I think that covered most points.

And what would be "your way" :) ???