Why become a member? ×

Radial Stage Bug SB-2 passive DI question

BillyBass

Hi all,

I know the Radial SB-2 is a passive DI and would be suitable for use with active instruments and that something like the SB-1 48v phantom powered DI box would be advised for passive instruments.  However, could I get good results from the SB-2 with a passive P bass, if I upped the gain on any of the other pedals in the signal chain, the Cali76 CB compressor, for example?

I use a SB-2 on my tiny church pedalboard, the chain is

Polytune->spectracomp->Mini HP vong->ENO eq7->Bass soul food->corona chorus->Radial sb2  the pedalboard is a mildly modified Mooer M5 with all of the power distribution under the board.

DSC_1139.thumb.JPG.4ad4bf4bba9b224ccbf7a3202cc74c66.JPG

this works perfectly for me with all of my basses (all passive as that's my preference) I'd expect that it will work fine for you as well, the Radial Di's are great bits of kit. i don't have to use the Pad or the ground lift and run it straight into the desk with no eq or effects on the desk. It seems to work perfectly with all of the pedals off as well as with them active.

Matt

Edited by Matt P
added the photo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matt P said:

I use a SB-2 on my tiny church pedalboard, the chain is

Polytune->spectracomp->Mini HP vong->ENO eq7->Bass soul food->corona chorus->Radial sb2

this works perfectly for me with all of my basses (all passive as that's my preference) I'd expect that it will work fine for you as well, the Radial Di's are great bits of kit. i don't have to use the Pad or the ground lift and run it straight into the desk with no eq or effects on the desk. It seems to work perfectly with all of the pedals off as well as with them active.

Matt

I take it you have the Polytune set for 'buffer' and not 'true bypass' then?

The Stage Bug works perfectly with passive instruments, unless they have a particularly low output. 

Even then, we all have such extreme levels of overkill built into our rigs these days that you're never going to run out of headroom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Ah yes.  I have the '3' which has dip switches to change from buffered to true bypass

i have to admit that i didn't actually know about buffers and had to google the manual, i just took it out of the box and plugged it straight into the board!

• Like 1