Why become a member? ×

To those who’ve had orange

Wonky2

I’ve a LBT head, and I’ve an obc112 cab.

the 112 on its own is fine for rehearsals and probably MoST small pub, bar gigs, but it seems to be at its limit when the amp is just tweaked with volume nob about 10/11 o’clock.

i mean, the head seems to out power the cab quite early on. 

Id like to have just a little more headroom, but i can’t decide whether I should go with a second obc112, which I believe is a great rig……

or…….

should I just go to a single obc115.

i appreciate the 115 is heavy an i would always put it on castors…..

but my head tells me a single 115 cab is a better solution…..

i k ie the simple answer is try both, but I have no access to try any really and so hoped for the guidance of those who have tried before me

anyone else’s been down this route , what did you choose and was it the right decision. ?

25 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Get a second identical 1x12 and stack it vertically on top of the first.  Problem solved. :)

Yeah I think so, I just don’t want to be left still wanting the girth of a 115……

i find with the 112 I’ve got the amps bass turned up and treble cut, as I push for that deeper bass sound. 
It does it, but I’d imagine the 115 would do it without the extreme use of eq….

i like to keep the eq as close to neutral as I can so that it can be used to deal with a rooms acoustics more than dial in a particular sound ? 

Edited by Wonky2

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

They say that when you like the sound of a cab but want more power get another of the same cab, however I don’t get the feeling that you’re really happy with the 112 so maybe the 115 will suit better.

It’s the eternal torture of thinking it, but not knowing it 😂 

I do like the 112 at low levels, but with just one, and the amp running it’s volume towards 11pm (compressor at 12 noon) , the cab just felt like it was at its limit and loosing its clean bottom end sound. Things got a bit flappy, beginning to break up, just didn’t sound rich /warm and clean….

an additional 112 will likely do it just fine but I “think” a 115 , which is a well regarded cabinet , might just give me the bottom end girth and leave me with the amp head not having to eq to an extreme, or pushing the cab to its limit quite early on …..and not rely on me using the amp eq to dial in what I’m looking for….

i could be totally wrong, as yes speaker size doesn’t equate to width of sound……. But I do think a 115 will let me run the amp and my bass in a more neutral sense and give me the sound I have to drive the 112 to get.

it will do it, but it isn’t it’s natural , neutral sound…..

Edited by Wonky2

I had a barefaced super compact. Liked it, then bought a second. Much better sound, louder, more headroom. Had to sell it 😢 then later bought a super twin. 🥰

I wouldn’t mix the cabs if it was me because when you need to use just one cab, either one won’t be ‘right’ on its own. The modular 2 x 112 cabs is probably the best all round option. I personally like the simplicity of the 212 single cab solution. 

• Like 1