Why become a member? ×

NBD: Rubbery goodness - Batking Uke Bass

mcnach

Hello.

Re: feedback problem with the Batking fretless "F" hole ukulele.

A good way to reduce feedback a lot without losing the hollow body double bass sound is to make "feedback suppressor plugs" out of dense foam.

Use thin paper and do a pencil rubbing of the F holes. It doesn't need to be very accurate. Next cut out the paper F hole shapes and use them asa a template to draw the F hole onto the foam. I used tailors chalk to do this.

Now use a craft knife to cut the "F hole plug" out of the foam. If it's a little too large don't worry because you're going to squeeze it into the F hole. A bit of trimming may be necessary but it's worth the effort.

It works a treat. I got the idea from F hole plugs for hollow body jazz guitars. Try it. It costs very little and definitely works for me.

Btw: I get a rattle/buzz on my A string when pressing it. I say "fretting" it but it's fretless. The open A is fine. 

I've tried adjusting the truss rod and putting a bit of folded card in the nut slot as I thought maybe the slot had been cut too low. It's improved but still there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Jon Gordon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the preamp on mine is always on.

I've replaced a few batteries already, blaming myself for forgetting to turn off the tuner (I use it a lot unplugged)... but nope, the battery just drains. So now I just put the battery in if I want to plug it in.

Anybody else had the same issue?

Thinking about it, the fact that there's no need to plug in a jack in order to use the tuner implies that there's either a switch on the tuner that also switches the power on and off, or the preamp is permanently on and the tuner is just switched on and off.

Just checked and the battery on mine is dead, after never having plugged it in and not leaving the tuner on. Wonder if it's feasible to put a stereo jack in and switch the battery (which would also mean that if the XLR socket is to be used, you'd have to put a plug in the jack).

Yours too, eh? So it looks more like a design 'feature' than a fault.

Good to know! It's only mildly annoying, as this is something I just use at home, so I might not bother trying to fix it... my list of 'projects' grows faster than my discipline to finish them :D

18 hours ago, tauzero said:

Just checked and the battery on mine is dead, after never having plugged it in and not leaving the tuner on. Wonder if it's feasible to put a stereo jack in and switch the battery (which would also mean that if the XLR socket is to be used, you'd have to put a plug in the jack).

The XLR socket on these has a little switch in it which I assume completes the circuit when a plug is inserted so should be ok fitting a regular 1/4" stereo jack.

• Thanks 1