Why become a member? ×

Changing the sound of your bass

JoeEvans

Following on from another discussion, I thought I'd ask the question: apart from changing strings, what alteration or adjustment to your bass made the biggest difference to the sound? 

For me it was the change to a wooden end pin. I'd be interested to hear yours..

Changing the bridge height.  I got Tim Bachelar to put adjusters on my bridge, so now can change the action.  High bridge makes the bass more sensitive and improves the bowed tone greatly.  Low bridge great for jazz with a softer sound and more of that "mwah".

This explains something another luthier once told me which was that you should raise the bridge to get the best tone ( more pressure on the front of the bass) then raise up the finger board to get the action you want.

Ideally you'd probably need a highish bridge and some mechanism for changing the neck angle.  But an adjustable bridge is much simpler.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2022 at 17:26, Petey said:

Replacing the old Sound Post to a new expensive one ,shaped by a luither 

Sometimes just needs moving around a bit. I think the placement is more important than the thing itself.  Sometimes they slip or fall over and get put back wrong then need repositioning. Still a skilled job though.

• Like 1