Why become a member? ×

240V bass!

prowla

240v? Reminds me of a story a pal told me. A father came into the music shop he worked at looking for an electric guitar for his son. They sold him a starter Strat type instrument. A couple of days later, he was back, with a face like thunder, shouting that the shop staff had tried to "kill my boy". They asked what he was on about and he told them "I took that silly plug off the lead it came with and put a proper one on. When I plugged it in, it exploded".

You've guessed it. He'd put a 13A three pin on the lead and plugged it into the mains. When they took it out of the box, the pickups were melted. They explained that it needed to be used with an amplifier and our hero insisted they were just trying to sell him more stuff, threatened to report them to Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Watchdog, etc. "It's an electric guitar, innit?"

To avoid wasting time and money on arguments (it could have cost them, although they would have won), they gave him back his £99.99 and told not to come back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

The Daily Excess once ran a Giles cartoon showing the mop-headed youth playing a guitar that was plugged into the electric ceiling light. I wrote to them to tell them how dangerous that was. That was 50 years ago or so.

Anyroadup, the seller doesn't seem to bother amending his boilerplate text - he has the same 240V disclaimer on auctions for things like knobs and hinges.