Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP12 SMX Bass pre-amp

I'm interested in this trace pre but i can't find anything about it on the TE site. Does anyone else have one or know alittle about them? How much might one go for? :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-GP12-SMX-Bass-pre-amp_W0QQitemZ150340082951QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_975"]Trace Elliot GP12 SMX Bass pre-amp[/url]

I used to have a Trace GP12 SMX 4x10 combo (great amp by the way), and that looks like the complete amplifier section from the front. Mine didn't have all the connectors at the back tho'.

That prolly doesn't help that much :)

I had one of these preamps once. It was brilliant, especially the compressor. Superb in every way, I regret selling it actually. Highly recommended. As for a price? No idea. I sold mine for a ton, but that was 6 or 7 years ago now.

[quote name='Rich' post='471429' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:41 PM']I had one of these preamps once. It was brilliant, especially the compressor. Superb in every way, I regret selling it actually. Highly recommended. As for a price? No idea. I sold mine for a ton, but that was 6 or 7 years ago now.[/quote]

Cool cheer's man. :rolleyes: I'n the TE 12 band manual it has the GP12X pre but that's not the same as this one on ebay. :D

i did see on talk bass some american dude's selling them for about 150 to 200 usd. but that could have been an old thread....... :)

I have the 250W head version.. brilliant to this day from new!
As to value, if it doesn't go much higher it has to be worth a punt surely?
If not I still have, somewhere, the previous model GP12 preamp i.e. no compressor.
This has been on loan to friends for a while but it should be getting used - probably available.

[quote name='hubrad' post='471773' date='Apr 24 2009, 06:48 PM']I have the 250W head version.. brilliant to this day from new!
As to value, if it doesn't go much higher it has to be worth a punt surely?
If not I still have, somewhere, the previous model GP12 preamp i.e. no compressor.
This has been on loan to friends for a while but it should be getting used - probably available.[/quote]

Hum.... yeah that sound's cool. :) If this one stays low I might stick a bid on it tomorrow. It had to bloody finish when i'm out jamming. :rolleyes:

Is the GP12 basically the same bar the comp? i.e. solid state, tube and 12 band?

Hi,

I ran exactly that model of pre-amp for over 10 years and do have to say that it was fantastic - never missed a beat once and used to deliver a really nice tone too. There are some good options on the pre-amp if you like bi-amping etc and also the tube or solid state blend which always offered a nice contrast in sounds.

I sold mine on e-bay a couple of years ago to a guy in Australia and I think he paid about £250 for it in the end.

I am sure that when I bought mine from the Bass Centre it was nearly a grand!

If you can get it under £150 it has to be worth it and for that money there is no way that you would be disappointed it was a great amp in it's day!

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Bobo_Grimmer' post='469415' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:13 AM']I'm interested in this trace pre but i can't find anything about it on the TE site. Does anyone else have one or know alittle about them? How much might one go for? :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-GP12-SMX-Bass-pre-amp_W0QQitemZ150340082951QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_975"]Trace Elliot GP12 SMX Bass pre-amp[/url][/quote]

[quote name='hubrad' post='472084' date='Apr 25 2009, 11:19 AM']Good point.. no tube either. It's the front end of the better combos before the tube/ss SMX series came out.
Good luck with the Ebay one![/quote]

:) cheer's dude, no worries.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='472101' date='Apr 25 2009, 12:05 PM']Hi,

I ran exactly that model of pre-amp for over 10 years and do have to say that it was fantastic - never missed a beat once and used to deliver a really nice tone too. There are some good options on the pre-amp if you like bi-amping etc and also the tube or solid state blend which always offered a nice contrast in sounds.

I sold mine on e-bay a couple of years ago to a guy in Australia and I think he paid about £250 for it in the end.

I am sure that when I bought mine from the Bass Centre it was nearly a grand!

If you can get it under £150 it has to be worth it and for that money there is no way that you would be disappointed it was a great amp in it's day!

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Thank's man. It does sound like a great bit of kit. My RAH1000 has the GP12 built in but this smx version does have a few more tonal options available. I'm thinking that it would be cool for recording in a studio when i don't the amp section of the RAH1000 i could just use the pre. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to get an idea of what i should bid too. I have to confess i am a bit of a TE fanatic. :D

There is a TE amp (12 band) and cabs on ebay with a link to some more info about it, if that helps. Link below.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-AH400SMX-bass-amp-and-cabs_W0QQitemZ200336096241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item200336096241&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-AH400SM...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]