Why become a member? ×

Anyone knows this bass brand at all?

KASH

Sounds like one of those one-off brands that larger guitar store chains have made for them in Indonesia and so on. Sound Control's used to be "Manhattan".

It's a really cheap Precision copy, so although it might be okay, I'd expect it to be rubbish, especially the pickups.

[quote name='KASH' post='469374' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:37 AM']Deville?

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/london/26/37865026.html"]http://www.gumtree.com/london/26/37865026.html[/url][/quote]

DeVille's a brand that's been perplexing me for a while - it's clearly a UK importer name rather than an actual manufacturer. I live in Edinburgh & I've seen quite a few of these turn up locally, on Glumtree & local swag shops. I've also seen a P copy very like this one at a car boot, plus what looked like a proper JapCrap set-neck Les Paul copy being enquired about on one of the vintage Jap guitar boards. All of these have been in Scotland, which leads me to speculate it is - or more likely was - a Scottish music shop or importer's own brand, like the Grant & Grantson brands in the 70s.

The P copy I saw definitely wasn't "vintage" - I'd say less than 10 years old and just like the generic sub £100 P copies that hang on the walls of every little music shop & Crack Converters, and to be honest this one's probably the same. Looking at the pic that'll be a ply, or at best veneered body (the big black overspray on the contour's a giveaway) and it'll probably have budget hardware to match.

That said, he's asking £60, that almost certainly means he'll take £50 - it needs a new nut & strings at least so that's a starting point for haggling. No harm in having a look - it might turn out to be a decent cheapo beater.

Jon.