Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which strings?

Adrenochrome

Okay, after 2.5 years use, the strings on my main bass are in a poor state and I'm going to buy some new ones. I can probably go up to a budget of £20 inc. delivery

The bass is a Peavey Millenium AC bxp, 34" scale, thru-body stringing, tuned EbAbDbGb.
I like(d) the strings the bass came with, I believe they are Peavey 45-105 nickel, tension seems just right for Eb tuning.
I play with what I'd describe as 'average' neck relief and action.
I play 50/50 fingerstyle and pickstyle.
Not looking for extremely bright or deep sound, somewhere in between.
My left-hand technique is heavy - I can wear frets quite fast.

Any recommendations gratefully received as I don't buy new string very often!
(eg I've seen some D'Addario nickel 45-105 that looked like they'd do the job and are within budget)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='469305' date='Apr 22 2009, 09:41 AM']Okay, after 2.5 years use, the strings on my main bass are in a poor state and I'm going to buy some new ones. I can probably go up to a budget of £20 inc. delivery

The bass is a Peavey Millenium AC bxp, 34" scale, thru-body stringing, tuned EbAbDbGb.
I like(d) the strings the bass came with, I believe they are Peavey 45-105 nickel, tension seems just right for Eb tuning.
I play with what I'd describe as 'average' neck relief and action.
I play 50/50 fingerstyle and pickstyle.
Not looking for extremely bright or deep sound, somewhere in between.
My left-hand technique is heavy - I can wear frets quite fast.

Any recommendations gratefully received as I don't buy new string very often!
(eg I've seen some D'Addario nickel 45-105 that looked like they'd do the job and are within budget)[/quote]

Hiya

I've got D'Addario 45-105 on just now, but they died really, really quickly.

Someone in another thread mentioned Hi-Beam strings not being shrink wrapped and that they are dead straight out of the box.

I wondered if that was the case with my D'Addarios.

That apart, before they died, they feel nice to play on and had a good sound (that's on a Precision).

Try La Bella "Slappers" - I've been using them for a while now & they're the best, most consistent strings I've used & they're a good price too (£16.00 from Stringbusters online).

I stopped using DR strings as I just got fed up with having to return them because of dud strings. I tried them for bass, electric guitar and acoustic guitar & always had the same problem.

[quote name='AM1' post='469430' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:28 AM']Someone in another thread mentioned Hi-Beam strings not being shrink wrapped and that they are dead straight out of the box.[/quote]

I've just put a new set of DR Sunbeams on my GL2500 and they were absolutely fine. Not shrink wrapped either. It's easier to automate the production lines but I don't believe it makes the slightest difference to whether strings arrive dead or not. The only DOA strings I had were Elites, and they were shrink-wrapped.

YMMV

[quote name='pete.young' post='471309' date='Apr 24 2009, 09:44 AM']I've just put a new set of DR Sunbeams on my GL2500 and they were absolutely fine. Not shrink wrapped either. It's easier to automate the production lines but I don't believe it makes the slightest difference to whether strings arrive dead or not. The only DOA strings I had were Elites, and they were shrink-wrapped.

YMMV[/quote]

Hi, yes I decided to go back to Hi-Beams anyway because those D'Addarios died unbelievably quickly. It's just such a pity about the exchange rate now because Hi-Beam prices are stupid....but I really love the sound and they feel to great play on. I just put on set of 45-105 a few days ago and they sound like sexual chocolate! :)

EDIT - I meant to add, just for reference, my new Hi-Beams were not shrink wrapped and are nicely zingy! Soooo zingy. But they're over £20.

Edited by AM1

Some good suggestions here. I know some people dislike the feel, but Elixirs have always worked for me. £30-odd quid, but they're giggable for ages. For me, Rotos etc used to give up the sproing after about 3 gigs.

Not quite 'zingy' when they go on, but they stay bright for a good long while. Last lot stayed good for about a year, played 1-2 x week for 4 hrs apiece, + sundry home based strumming.

Either way, 45-105 should be fine for Eb.