Why become a member? ×

Guess who's back... back again ....

Dr.Dave

Sept 2018 - I played my last gig with the band I'd been in for 19 years having moved away from Wakefield and it's familiar music scene a few months earlier. Since then I've done some depping jobs with a rock and roll band , played a local fundraiser festival with a scratch band and that's been it. I tried to get a band going here in Notts but I just couldn't get a steady line up - stop start stop start etc. Out of the blue a few months back a guitar player who'd been in one version of the band that never was rang me and he was reforming his old long term band with folk who'd all been in it at various times but needed a bass player. So  - off we go again.

Tonight is our first gig - I'm not too happy about the drive into Sheffield but I'm glad to be back on stage. Been to see a couple of bands recently and I felt like a spare part standing in an audience. I feel at home on a stage.

I swore no more rock bands but a covers rock band we are. 'Age appropriate rock' , I call it ! A lot of the set I was doing 40 years ago !

Anyway I feel a bit weird after so long a gap. I keep thinking there's something I've forgotten about gigging and I keep checking everything like nervy folk do. I'm sure a lot of you seasoned gigging players have either been out of the game and returned or are currently out of it but about to return so I'm sure many of you know the feeling , however alien it is to me.

That's it - just a bit of waffle to let you all know that at 61 I'm far from finished yet and I can feel the cocky bar steward inside me fighting to let 'em have it again !

• Like 15

I too 'retired' from playing in 2019 - tried again in '21, but nothing came up....

Got the bug again this year - re-equipped, but then....nothing. 

Getting a bit depressed about various things (life wasn't great), hadn't played in a month or two, and was debating if my time up really had come.

Out of the blue, an old contact (who gets very good gigs) messaged me about something new. Kind of chap that when he gets in touch, it's a case of 'where and when' - you know it's going to be good.

First rehearsal next week, dates booked next month already. Immediate practice regime suddenly regimented......nice to have my focus back.

Good luck tonight, DD - you'll smash it! 😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1