Why become a member? ×

Blue Aran: Am I just using its basket wrong?

chyc

Blue Aran looks to be a wonderful site that stocks many items that I like to buy. However, it's driving me absolutely insane, and I don't know if it's just me not understanding how it works or if there's just some setting that I need to tweak.

If I go to the site, fill up my basket then immediately buy there and then there's no problem. The issue I have is that if I leave my basket too long it wipes its contents. Okay, that's irritating but prices may change etc, but I now have no way of knowing what was in my basket. How do I create a semi-permanent basket which I can fill up over the course of weeks? Aha, I see a Quote button in my basket which turns my ethereal basket into a permanent record. Sadly there is no way of turning a quote back into a basket for purchasing, and even worse the quote page you are shown gives you no link back to the items themselves, just a link to "Open a Help Ticket".

Aha, there's a Favourite list down the left hand menu. Unfortunately  I cannot see any way of adding items to this list.

My current workflow is creating a file in Notepad and copy/pasting the URLs of the things that I want, then creating the basket at the last minute when I want to buy which is bonkers in this day and age. Is there some setting that I'm missing? I can see my basket number changes whenever it's emptied. I make a note of the basket number with the items in, and yes, I cannot seem to recover it even with that knowledge.

I cannot imagine that this would fly in this day and age and perhaps there's some trick that I'm missing, which is why I'm asking here.

It's probably something to do with holding stock in limbo in a basket. It might stop other people buying it, or artificially decreasing stock levels on the backend if stuff is just sat there in 10 people's baskets. I'd imagine they've probably got a system that automatically clears your basket after X amount of time. It's a much smaller operation than something like Amazon and the website itself isn't the snazziest. 

Maybe drop them a line and see if you can get the lowdown on how to best use their site?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevie said:

I've always had the impression that shopping sites wipe the contents of your basket after a while - not just Blue Arran.

My experience too. My issue with BA is that there doesn't seem to be a way to build up a basket over a long period. Most other sites call this a wishlist and frustratingly there looks to be the facility on BA, except I don't know how to use it!

https://www.bluearan.co.uk//myaccount/myaccount.php?wishlist=view