Why become a member? ×

My First Amp - Gallien-Krueger MB112v2

Minininjarob

So after some much needed help on here and auditioning some small/medium combo amps I preferred the sound of the Fender Rumble series, tried Ashdown/Ampeg and even a MarkBass but it was the Fender I preferred.

Anyway decided on the 100 but it was a bit of a stretch financially and they don't seem to come up 2nd hand very often so I looked 2nd hand at other options.

This amp came up for sale in Sheffield - not too far - and checking out some videos it seems it might be the sound I was after. Brand new they are £650 but I got it for £150 from a lovely couple who were selling it on behalf of one of their parents as the father (who was a very musical person) had sadly passed away. I hope I'm a good next owner!

https://www.gallien-krueger.com/mb-112-specs

As soon as I tried it out in their house I was like "wow", really punchy and none of the rounding off I had heard in the Ashdown or Markbass amps. Like a Rumble but "more".

Came with a nice Roqsolid cover (which I have just found is made down the road from me!) which is a bonus.

Its a reasonably light unit too which I was struggling to get 2nd hand as a lot of cheaper amps are older heavier ones.

I am sure other people know more but the GK stuff seems to be good quality (wow they make some monster amps!) so hopefully I have chosen well.

The only thing that's a bit odd is that there is no separate master volume. Not a massive deal as I can turn the gain up and down and the volume on my PB but it is different to a lot of amps I've seen. Probably wont be an issue for me for the time being.

You can add an extension cab to them but this is loud enough for me right now..... 😉

amp.jpg

amp1.jpg

amp2.jpg

• Like 4