Why become a member? ×

Help - Scarlett 18i20 in Logic - no input/output!

Jakester

So I recently decided to buy a new Macbook and in the process decided to buy Logic. On my previous MBP I've been using Reaper, but thought I'd finally make the jump. 

I have a Saffire and a gen 1 Scarlett which are connected via ADAT and which Reaper saw fine. 

However, although Logic 'sees' it/them, I can't a) get it to record any sound and b) play anything back. 

Part of this I am sure is the accursed Mix Control intermediary software. 

When I turn on the interfaces with no USB connection, I can hear the mics/inputs fine (including the Saffire ones) etc via direct monitoring on the Scarlett headphone output. However, when I connect to the laptop, load Logic, then even if I shut it down and disconnect, I can't hear anything until I reset the interfaces in Mix Control. After connection, none of the Mix Control faders show any input, though the input on the interfaces themselves are still registering a signal. Signal is shown in Mix Control before connection though. 

In Logic, the settings I have are:

Input/Output - Scarlett 18i20

Output - channels 9/10 (which are the Scarlett stereo return channels)

Core audio is selected, and in the system preferences the Scarlett is selected as the audio device. 

The main stereo output track in Logic is pointed to 9/10.

Each of the single tracks is pointed to the stereo output. 

Recording is armed, and track monitoring is selected. 

By way of comparison, a more 'simple' 2in/2out interface sees inputs and outputs in Logic fine. 

Any ideas gratefully received! 

1 hour ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

Does the behaviour remain the same if you use the build of Reaper you were using on the old macbook on the new macbook?

Might help establish where the problem lies, especially if you are using a newer build of MacOS than on your older macbook.

Snap - great minds. Have just done exactly that and it works fine. Reaper sees the interface, monitoring is fine, recording, plugins etc all work as they should. 

I’m pretty sure it’s Logic. What’s interesting is as soon as Logic is loaded, the interfaces in Mix Control suddenly lose their sync lock. 

I wonder if it’s using a relatively old interface with brand new Logic, though it is a class-compliant interface so should be fine! 

In an ideal world I’d take it into the Apple Store for advice but the interfaces are all racked up so it’d be a massive pain!

I have exactly this setup - Logic with Scarlet 18i20 on my Mac that I use for playing the backing tracks for both my bands when we gig and it has been flawless. However I suspect that I am running an older Mac and version of Logic than you.

What is the Mac and what version of Logic are you running?

When I have moment later today I'll have a look at my Mix Control settings, but I know they will be different since my routings are stereo out 1&2, drummers click track 3 and that's it!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What is the Mac and what version of Logic are you running?

Thanks - it’s a 14” MBP M1 Pro (which I think is 2021 in their model speak but which is brand new)and I’m assuming it’s at least Logic 10.7.4 as it was a factory install. 

My Mac is a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro running OSX 1015 (Catalina) and Logic 10.6 something, so all slightly older.

I do seem to remember that I needed to fiddle with the defaults in Mix Control before I got it to work with my system, so as I said I said I'll have a look at my settings later today when I am able to get to that computer.

In the mean time, have you tried Focusrite's web chat. I found it very useful when I was having problems setting up my Novation Launchkeys controller.

• Thanks 1

Well, tried Focusrite who were really helpful but concluded it was probably a Logic issue. 

Tried Apple support and their advice has been to update the OS (!).

Given it's a brand new laptop and I don't have any wildly expensive plugins I'm going to give it a try, if only to say 'I told you so' to them. 

Well - as expected, no difference. 

I was able to force an error message by resetting the interfaces whilst connected to Logic - it was something about the sample buffer, but adjusting it made no difference.

I’ll get back to Apple again.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems Apple wasn't able to offer any help either. 

I managed to get it to fix itself in the end - not entirely sure what the operative step was, but in case it helps anyone else, I reinstalled Logic again, de-racked and factory reset the interfaces again, checked they both worked individually (had to dig out my old laptop for the FW connection!) and then went through the ADAT connection process again, checked they were all seen and working in MixControl, and then connected back up to Logic and presto, there we go - no more problems.