Why become a member? ×

NBD: GUILD Starfire I bass

grayn

I recently joined a 60s band and though my Sandberg Lionel sounds the part, I had an urge to get a more 60s style bass.  I play short scale basses these days and thought perhaps a violin bass.  Then,
last Saturday, I popped in to see my mate, who owns Aire Valley Guitars.  I didn't expect to see anything in the retro bass department, although he does get some unusual and retro stuff in.  Anyway, the first thing I spotted was a brand new Guild Starfire I bass.  I've always liked the look of the Starfire II bass but thought the Starfire I looked slightly odd, with it's split coil pickup.  Well I had to have a go.  This is
a centre blocked semi acoustic, with a 1 1/2" depth, arched mahogany body, that is bound back and front, with unbound f-holes.  The split coil pickup is controlled by single volume and tone knobs.  The
volume can be pulled out to change the pickup from series to parallel wiring.  
I first played the bass acoustically and got a reasonable amount of volume, for such a thin body.  The bass does feel nice and resonant.  The action was nice and low, the frets are well done and the bass was easy to play, with a vibrant feel, that gave me a lot of pleasure.  Before I plugged it in, I put the bass on a strap, as I can not deal with neck dive.  I like my bass in a diagonal position and to my surprise, the Starfire stayed put, on releasing my hands completely.  That was with a very flimsy, 2 inch strap.  Now it's home, I use a well padded 3 inch strap and it really is solid as a rock.
Plugged in, the single split-coil pickup sounds nice and full, with plenty of clarity.  The tone rolled off also sounded useable, even though the passive tone control isn't the best I have used.  But mostly I have my tone on full, almost always.  The series/parallel knob, when activated, kind of thins out the tone.  This could be quite useful in some circumstances but I'll be leaving the knob down, as I much prefer the thicker sound. The bass comes with D'Addario EXL165 Nickel Wound Bass, Custom Light (.045 - .105) strings.  I had thought of changing them for D'Addario Chromes or GHS Pressurewounds but these round wounds sound really nice, especially if I play an inch or two nearer the neck, than I usually do.  Once the newness is played out of them I have a feeling, they will be just right.
This bass is built very well.  It is solid yet light and has a nice finish.
If I was being picky, the inside edge of the f-holes look scrappy and there is a miniscule cherry red blob on the body binding, near the heel of the neck.  You have to look close to see these though and the dark, transparent cherry finish is rather lovely.  I am rather looking forward to taking it to the next band rehearsal, on Wednesday.

(Sorry, I forgot to remove the plastic covers from the pickup)

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Compilation.png

• Like 14

Cheap but decent gig bag, for my Guild Starfire I bass.

I tend to use gig bags rather than hard cases, these days.  I wanted a decent but preferably low cost bag, for this new Starfire.

After a little searching, comparing dimensions of the bass to the case, I found a Hartwood Acoustic Bass Guitar Gig Bag, for under £30.

It has 20mm padding, with stiffened sides.  It arrived today and I was really hoping my semi acoustic bass would actually fit inside.

Big sigh of relief, it does.  It is nice and snug and an adjustable upper neck rest works really well too.

It looks quite smart and well made.  Only time will tell if the zip lasts but I'm hopeful.

A good score for less than the price of a set of bass strings.

preview.jpg

preview_1.jpg

14 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I bet that plays a lot better than a violin bass (which I have owned) but have much too close together strings IMHO. Whilst that model was never a Guild in the 60s, it certainly looks like it should have been.  Good buy for a 60s band.

Cheers.

I have owned a couple of violin basses in the past and I think the most practical is Epiphone's Viola bass.

It feels more solid, and the pickups are a little more versatile.

I much prefer this Guild though and it's thin body makes it very comfortable.

I have a couple of these (one in each colour) and absolutely love them. I would say the perfect bass for me and what I play. The red one I have just had binding fitted to the f holes as I prefer the look (I had used a Posca Pen on the f hole first to see). Both are fitted with TI short scale flats. I had an Epiphone Rivoli hard case which fits perfectly, and got a Warwick Semi Rockbag for gigs where walking's involved. Enjoy!

17CDBC5F-24C6-4192-8921-250B0E340876.jpeg

Edited by kristo

21 hours ago, kristo said:

I have a couple of these (one in each colour) and absolutely love them. I would say the perfect bass for me and what I play. The red one I have just had binding fitted to the f holes as I prefer the look (I had used a Posca Pen on the f hole first to see). Both are fitted with TI short scale flats. I had an Epiphone Rivoli hard case which fits perfectly, and got a Warwick Semi Rockbag for gigs where walking's involved. Enjoy!

17CDBC5F-24C6-4192-8921-250B0E340876.jpeg

Nice bass and agree the f-hole binding looks ace.

How about binding the headstock?

Loving the pickup on this bass and it sounded great at rehearsal.