Why become a member? ×

(First) Interface for my needs - Volt vs SSL2

Onox

Hey Guys, 

I am planning to change my Practice Set Up to work with Headphones. Most of the time I play along SBL Lessons or  Songs from Youtube and Spotify. I thought that an Interface would come in handy. I am totally new to this Subject but I found out that I need to run my PC Sounds through the Interface and use direct monitoring to listen to my Bass. 

I am undecided between a UA Volt 1 or 2 and a SSL2(+). The SSL2 has that nice direct monitoring blend knob and a higher Input Gain. The Volt 2 has a fixed direct Input Volume, which is a disadvantage I guess but works great with iPhones and Ipads. 

So in the end it comes down to Headphone Amp Quality and Direct Monitoring Feature. Had anyone the chance to play through both and could suggest the best choice?

Maybe relevant information could be that I got a Bassrig Super Vintage on my Pedalboard I want to connect. I am gonna use Audio Technica M50x or Beyerdynamics HD 900 Pro X Headphones. 

Thanks very much in advance!

Kind regards

Not sure where the idea the Volt has a fixed DI gain comes from, spec says 55db of gain for the TRS input, both UA and SSL use combo input and neither have a dedicated DI input.

I've spent a little time with the Volt 4 and have spec'ed SSL desktop stuff for Uni builds, there's very little to chose between them really. I prefer the "vintage" Pre-amp sound to the SSL "4K" but it's so subjective.

Both will do exactly the same zero latency or direct monitoring. Both come with a range of software, and the Volt include the Ampeg equation found in the Apollo range, which is very useful. What the Volt ange won't do is play with UA's Luna DAW, which is a excellent bit of software that comes free with the UAD2 age of hardware.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 

@WinterMute Not fixed DI Gain but direct monitoring has a fix Volume. I could adjust Volume with my Origin Bassrig but the Overall Volume could be too low.

I like the Design of the Volt 2 way more. 

Since I want the DI Sound from my Pedalboard, I Do not realy care about 4k or Vintage Preamp Mode but that could change in the Future

13 minutes ago, Onox said:

Thanks for the replies. 

@WinterMute Not fixed DI Gain but direct monitoring has a fix Volume. I could adjust Volume with my Origin Bassrig but the Overall Volume could be too low.

I like the Design of the Volt 2 way more. 

Since I want the DI Sound from my Pedalboard, I Do not realy care about 4k or Vintage Preamp Mode but that could change in the Future

Right, I see what you meant, no variable blend for input/DAW.

With a zero latency interface, you monitor through the DAW, the only time you need to blend the input with the DAW is what the DAW can't deliver zero-latency input monitoring.

• 8 months later...