Why become a member? ×

Dimension deluxe vs Sub Ray5

Ccwg_Bass

I have a Fender USA Dimension Deluxe HH iv, and I really want to get a 5 string for some extra low end at shows. My immediate thought was pick up a Dimension Deluxe V, but it seems that either I can’t find the one I want (black, maple neck, HH). So I got thinking about alternatives…

I was in my local Guitar store the other day and happened upon the Sterling Sub Ray 5. It only has one pup, but everything else seemed to line up. It’s black/black with maple neck, active, fairly good value (around £400) and it’s available  brand new, and second hand. 

So knowing how much I love my Dimension 4 string, do I chill out and wait for a 5 string to come along, or do I get over it, and go with the Sub Ray5?? 

What do you reckon? 

My experience is that a 5 string version of a favourite 4 string can seriously disappoint. I love my 4 string Jazz and I bought a 5 string version but it was very mediocre.  My advice would be to treat it like a clean slate and find a five string that you like and fits your budget.

• Like 1

As a previous owner of 3 Dimension deluxe HH 5s, the low B isn’t great. It’s OK but even a low F (6th fret) was quite dull and indistinct. The high mass badass-like bridge doesn’t help as it makes it very hard to string a decent gauge non-tapered B without twisting - I think the worst 5-string bass I’ve owned in that respect.

Personally I would stick with your 4 and look for a better overall 5-string. I’ve not tried the Far Eastern range of Stingray basses but the US version has long been known for a very solid and tight low B. Totally different tone to the Dimension, different pickup setup in different places. Try one first as an SR5 isn’t for everyone.

I haven't played the Dimension bass nor have I played a 5 string sub, however, there seems to be quite a lot of comments out there in regard of poor electrics in the cheap sub basses, I have a lovely cheap sub in black / maple and once I had swapped out both the pre-amp and pickup I finally had a bass that sounded as good as it looked, if you do go for the sub, budget another £250.00 or so to swap out the stock electrics.

I have struggled with 5 string basses over the years, I have never really got on with them, I currently have just 1 that I see as a keeper which is a Yamaha 735a it is a really well built, great sounding and great playing bass, and the black on black colour scheme looks awesome....if you can find a used one they are well worth the money, if you are ever up in the Northampton direction you are welcome to come and try mine

21 hours ago, Len_derby said:

My experience is that a 5 string version of a favourite 4 string can seriously disappoint. I love my 4 string Jazz and I bought a 5 string version but it was very mediocre.  My advice would be to treat it like a clean slate and find a five string that you like and fits your budget.

Interesting, I’d never considered this. Thanks

21 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

As a previous owner of 3 Dimension deluxe HH 5s, the low B isn’t great. It’s OK but even a low F (6th fret) was quite dull and indistinct. The high mass badass-like bridge doesn’t help as it makes it very hard to string a decent gauge non-tapered B without twisting - I think the worst 5-string bass I’ve owned in that respect.

Personally I would stick with your 4 and look for a better overall 5-string. I’ve not tried the Far Eastern range of Stingray basses but the US version has long been known for a very solid and tight low B. Totally different tone to the Dimension, different pickup setup in different places. Try one first as an SR5 isn’t for everyone.

Thanks for the summary. It’s very specific and a great help from your experience. I really appreciate your comments.

20 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

I haven't played the Dimension bass nor have I played a 5 string sub, however, there seems to be quite a lot of comments out there in regard of poor electrics in the cheap sub basses, I have a lovely cheap sub in black / maple and once I had swapped out both the pre-amp and pickup I finally had a bass that sounded as good as it looked, if you do go for the sub, budget another £250.00 or so to swap out the stock electrics.

I have struggled with 5 string basses over the years, I have never really got on with them, I currently have just 1 that I see as a keeper which is a Yamaha 735a it is a really well built, great sounding and great playing bass, and the black on black colour scheme looks awesome....if you can find a used one they are well worth the money, if you are ever up in the Northampton direction you are welcome to come and try mine

Thanks for your reply. I will take a look at. Yamaha 735a on my travels

I have had a SUB Ray 5. It's pretty muddy on the low B string. I upgraded the preamp to a Darkglass tone capsule which helped a lot but still not amazing. I replaced it with a Ray35 which for not much more money used was a HUGE amount better, really nice bass. I sold mine for £450 recently. 

59 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I have had a SUB Ray 5. It's pretty muddy on the low B string. I upgraded the preamp to a Darkglass tone capsule which helped a lot but still not amazing. I replaced it with a Ray35 which for not much more money used was a HUGE amount better, really nice bass. I sold mine for £450 recently. 

Thanks SteveXFR, I am really looking to buy a ‘one and done’ 5 string. So I’ll defo check out a Ray35. 

• Like 1