Why become a member? ×

Q's about the Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-3AC SAG Modular

Elfrasho

Can anyone answer this question for me please as I can't find the answer.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_3ac_sag_modular.htm

Thomann say that output 5 is 12V DC @ 1A, for powering additional DC input PSU's. Is this for quite a specific use that i don't understand or can i run a 12v pedal straight out this output?

Also, given that the sag option gives the option to vary the voltage, is this suitable for digital pedals assuming I set the sag to the correct voltage? Woudl i end up with a board of melted plastic and metal if i accidentally turned the V up too high?

Thanks

A 12v output won't blow up a 12v pedal.

Delivering too much current (1A or 1000mA) won't do any harm, as the pedal will only draw off what it needs, and reject the excess.

Digital pedals can be really fussy about power supplies, so a voltage sag isn't a great idea.

Sagging the voltage IS a very good idea with analogue fuzz pedals - you can get a really horrible, splattery fuzz sound if you're lucky.

It can also be useful if you've got a pedal with a high current drain (500mA or over) that is rated at 9v, for example the Zoom MS60B.

As with all power supplies, check the polarity - the convention (based largely on Boss pedals) is Centre negative, but it's worth checking that your pedal follows this.

Pedals can take more current than they are rated for, but NEVER more volts.

Ever.

Edited by paul_5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this. This may actually be just what I have been looking for. I’ve been looking for a power supply which would power my Markbass Compressore on a board with a couple of other pedals. It needs a min 600ma 12v DC, and there’s not a lot out there at a reasonable cost…….until now! Cheers!

Cheers for that @paul_5. My worry would be if the sag know got knocked up a bit then it would damage the pedal. Or knocked down and switched the pedal off completely.. probably not the power supply for me!

@ossyrocks I've had a good few hb things over the years and be very happy so thats why I've been looking at their stuff for this board build. Buy with confidence I say!

On 01/10/2022 at 15:30, Elfrasho said:

Can anyone answer this question for me please as I can't find the answer.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_3ac_sag_modular.htm

Thomann say that output 5 is 12V DC @ 1A, for powering additional DC input PSU's. Is this for quite a specific use that i don't understand or can i run a 12v pedal straight out this output?

Also, given that the sag option gives the option to vary the voltage, is this suitable for digital pedals assuming I set the sag to the correct voltage? Woudl i end up with a board of melted plastic and metal if i accidentally turned the V up too high?

Thanks

I think the 12V "link" output is intended to power one of the smaller ISO series supplies in piggyback fashion. Those run off 12v centre negative so that must be what this outlet is providing. No reason why you couldn't use that for another pedal instead.

These Harley Benton power supplies really are excellent!